Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am assuming that the bulk of us are old timers. How old and what are we capable of?

I am 75. I wear trifocal glasses. Take zero meds and can still do all functions in shop I need and want to do with the exception of heavy lifting. It is taking me a while to get back into the swing of things and I attribute that to my brain slowing down. I find myself rethinking my plans a lot and so simple jobs take a while longer but still come out as well as I want them to. After traveling for around 10 years on my boat and then the RV, I lost a lot and am slowly re-learning.

How are you guys fairing out?

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
5,552 Posts
Tony - I'm in the same boat as you. (@74)
Just getting over a Covid-19 (BA5) adventure, I'm slowly getting my strength and motivation back to some kind of normalish.
Like you, I have to re-think anything physical and consider the "what if" more often than when I was younger. I come from a family line where my ancestors lived into their late 90s. So it is a matter of regular medical checkups and staying alert.
Glasses Organ Human Vision care Gesture

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Just turned 63 yesterday. Had a quad-bypass a little more than 3 years ago. Other than a continued shortness of breath I can't seem to get over, I feel no differences from before the operation to now. Same thing when I quit smoking 15 years ago + . People kept saying how much better they felt after quitting ... I didn't notice any changes at all, except I was saving a lot of money each week.
Physically, I've never had any major injuries to joints, etc., so I don't have any restraints to what I can do.
In the shop, I'm good to go as long as the temps stay below 90. Once it gets above that, I can't stay out there for more than an hour or so.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
76 and have to admit that I need help to get a lot of simple things done. Ladder work for any reason.
Lifting anything over #20 is a no-no. One trip down and up the stairs is done for the day.
Fortunately, I can afford helpers. Scheduled help is just that: have to wait for them, can't possibly hurry up.
Maybe not so bad, Wednesday 10M is groceries, mail and hardware.. Friday 1PM is floors and bathrooms.
Lawn mowing when it's dry and not too hot. I've had a bunch of carving stuff moved upstairs, that's a pleasure.

This isn't much of a lifestyle, I'm pretty much shut in these past few months. It is what it is, just me and the old cat.

·
Registered
985 Posts
In the shop, I'm good to go as long as the temps stay below 90. Once it gets above that, I can't stay out there for more than an hour or so.
Ditto. I'm a few years older and I joke that I'm becoming a vampire; I can't do anything outdoors until the sun goes down. Man! It's just like someone comes along and flips my power switch. I also can't tell what day of the week it is without checking my pill box.

·
Premium Member
3,689 Posts
I just finished mowing the 4 acres, pulling up stakes and winding up 1000’ of hot wire I put up to keep the hogs out last year.

94° 70% humidity. I’m an animal!

No actually I’m done, finished, caput!

·
The Nut in the Cellar
1,537 Posts
I'm 75 and extended yard work necessitates knee braces and an electric riding mower and a 40 volt snowblower. No issues with ladders , nor climbing them. My big concern with my advancing years is brain fog. Every once in a while, I'll come to the sudden realization that I'm not concentrating on the task at hand. When this happens in the shop, I stop and back away from what I was doing, both literally and figuratively and give myself time to re-focus. If I was setting up a tool at the time, I leave it and the shop. I come back later and start over for fear I may have missed something in the setup that could be harmfu. Getting old is a booger.

Reactions: DrRobert

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I'm 43 and healthy, but covid and work from home ruined my exercise routine, and I put on 25 lbs in the last 2.5 years. I used to be healthier than I was in high school, but now I'm not.

I used to exercise with young kids in their 20s, and I found they improved and recovered way faster. I can still work hard and I cleared out my dad's house on the second floor making dozens of not hundreds of trips down the stairs in one weekend, and moving heavy crap, but after doing that and the 5 hour trip home, my legs were shot for the next week almost.

·
Premium Member
3,689 Posts
I'm 75 and extended yard work necessitates knee braces and an electric riding mower and a 40 volt snowblower. No issues with ladders , nor climbing them. My big concern with my advancing years is brain fog. Every once in a while, I'll come to the sudden realization that I'm not concentrating on the task at hand. When this happens in the shop, I stop and back away from what I was doing, both literally and figuratively and give myself time to re-focus. If I was setting up a tool at the time, I leave it and the shop. I come back later and start over for fear I may have missed something in the setup that could be harmfu. Getting old is a booger.
Boy can I relate. This was the essence of my attempt to be funny in the measuring thread. The mental errors can be extremely frustrating, and I can even become somewhat paralyzed b/c of the fear of ruining a nice piece of wood. I do WAY more test cuts and dry runs than I used to.

Your priorities get rearranged. Certain things become a lot more important b/c they mean more, some things b/c you know a day is coming when you won’t be able to physically. Time becomes much more valuable, and seems to fly by way too quickly - because you know Yiu don’t have as much left. So you don’t put off tomorrow what you can do today.

You’re grateful the the things you can still do. I think sometimes that’s the reason work the way I do. My wife is constantly telling me I’m killing myself but ironically to me, I’m loving life. I have a man I can hire to do it, and I do for bigger things.

Except for very minor things, I don’t do plumbing repairs anymore, I call a plumber.

And then one day, a visit to the Dr and you’re whole life can be turned upside down.

See what you’ve got to look forward to @BigCountry79 😁

Oh, and you think about safety a lot more.

Sleeve Gesture Font Sharing Adaptation

·
Premium Member
Ole Nail Whooper - Retired Moderator
5,631 Posts
I am scaring the dickens out of 79 here shortly, I can for sure tell a difference from young to older. At times I think, heck yeah I can do that, then my body says, are you crazy? lol One thing I regret is not wearing lung protection when around sawdust.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just turned 67 this month. I've had some woodworking tools for quite some time but never took them seriously as they were set up so badly they were almost unusable. With that said, physically I'm in fair shape. I do take one med for my thyroid but nothing else. According to my doc I'm a little over weight and could loose about 20 pounds. One knee is giving me issue but that is from a slight injury early this year that doesn't seem to want to go away. Some days are better than others. I do need to think about how I'm going to tackle a task, especially if it has some mass to it. I try to work smart but that doesn't always workout😁. I'd complain but nobody would listen anyway! LOL

Ken

·
Premium Member
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When it comes to heavy lifting, in most cases my eye and hand coordination are just fine. I just have a lagging brain which takes a bit longer to process the "you used to could do it, but not any more" portion of the task. I no longer rely on that section of brain cells and just tell my "maybe I should rethink this'.
In all seriousness, before I do certain tasks, I have trained myself to 'rethink' this idea. Usually turns out that I convince myself to just wait until Big Bubba walks by.

·
where's my table saw?
31,679 Posts
So far I have only seen posts from you young guys. When are the old people going to start posting.

George
I'm not going to post here ... just because. I'll keep checking in though in case anyone know of any "wonder drugs' ......

·
Premium Member
A cat made me do it.
1,362 Posts
Am I the only person under 50 on this forum?
Of the frequent posters, plausibly. I get the feeling that a lot of the people that join just to ask a question or 2 are well under 50.

In part it tends to be an older person's hobby, also I wonder if younger people often just use YouTube and Google for how-to, not a forum such as this. Me? I'm a '57 Ford.

·
Premium Member
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Am I the only person under 50 on this forum?
If we count all except the 'one night stands', then the answer is "Probably YES"
A good amount of us were married and had kids before you were born. Until Covid came around, I think woodworking as a hobby was pretty much disappearing.

·
Registered
633 Posts
My work load has, at least, tripled. It takes me 3 times longer to do things, now, as it did when I was younger.... and I can just about only work half a day before I need a nap... and then I'm done for the day....... 3, maybe 4 days a week.

Sonny

1 - 20 of 59 Posts