Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a new table saw blade guard with a dust port. Any opinions on a good one?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've tried 3, the first was the Badger Pond shop built one; it was pretty good except for the hanging the thing from the ceiling part...could never figure out how to do that in my shop. Next I went with the Shark Gaurd mega mouth. I should add I've always had a Bies snap in splitter (Unisaw) so the shark was made to clamp right onto that. The Shark is superb, easy to move out of the way and really did a great job on catching the dust. Then I came across a used Excalibur, something I had always wanted and didn't buy because of the price. So I bought and installed the Ex only to find I didn't like it as much as the much cheaper Shark. I still have the Shark and keep threatening to switch back when time allows....it would get my vote for the top choice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My saw is an older 10 inch delta. it has the factory splitter and blade guard, I hate it. I would prefer a blade guard with a dust collector. My splitter is not mounted near the blade as most I see. It mounts near the motor to the back. Can I get a good splitter with anti kick back fingers for my saw? Are they a universal mount for all saws?
My splitter would be in the way of the guards I have seen.
Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is really neat but what I really want is a splitter with anti kick back fingers and a dust collecting blade guard.

·
where's my table saw?
28,698 Posts
home built?

That is really neat but what I really want is a splitter with anti kick back fingers and a dust collecting blade guard.
El Cheapo version of PVC and shop vac. I can easily remove it or lift it up slightly when needed. One saw will be easier. It works well for catching most of the dust. It's not "fool proof" but keeps my fingers out of the blade path.

FYI a splitter and a dust collection can be totally independent. The anti kickback pauls will be a pain in your collection. I removed all mine on all my splitters..... You can not back out a partial cut unless you hang/lift the pauls up in some manner.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That guard is what I am looking for, something small that has a dust collector.
Now if I can find a better splitter with kick back fingers. I know the fingers are a pain but they make me feel real safe. I am still trying to figure out if I can mount a better splitter/kick back finger system than the delta saw I have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts