Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
If all your going to turn is small items then get yourself a mini carbide tool set. Lol.. But seriously Its hard to say what tools you need to start with. I bought an 8 piece hss set from harber freight and only use 3 of the 8 tools there. For small stuff like pens, i use the hss roughing gouge then finish with carbides ...

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
johnnie52 said:
Thanks guys. Stupid me didn't know what to search for, so I jumped ahead and asked. Right now I'm looking to turn wheels, tires, and small parts for toys. Pens and other such stuff will come later once I learn how to actually use a lathe as it is the one tool I've only seen in action and never done myself.
Gonna need a detailer for sure than

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
cuerodoc said:
Since I have limited time availability for shop activities I really like to use carbide tools. ( yeah I can and do use the others--but carbide is just faster for me--waiting for the "cringe" from some of the guys) Check ebay if not in a hurry--always decent used tools on there--that's where I got mine.
Dave H
Whatever you are comfortable with, let it be time or expertise, do what works for you... Go carbides.. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.