Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm building a shaker style dresser for my mother. This is my first project working from plans, usually I kinda just plan as I go and it seems to work for me. Anyhow, I overlooked a small but important detail. I got the side panels all put together and was doing a dry fit tonight and saw the problem. I think I have a solution worked out but thought I get more opinions. Problem is I located the mortise for the bottom rail to close to the inside of the case. Plans call for there to be 1/2 inch from the front of the leg to the start of the mortise I over looked this and just centered it in the 1 1/2 inch leg. I'll post pics after I'm done explaining. I hope you guys can follow me, I feel like I might not be painting a good enough picture. So the plans call for me to rip 3/4 of the front rail of the bottom dust panel so that it will but up against the back of the bottom rail of the case. I'm thinking I will rip more off the dust panel and the laminate a thin price on the face of the bottom rail to keep the reveal on the bottom rail the same as the rest of the dust panels. I think this will work fine because you wouldn't be able to see I did it unless you looked from the under side and it shouldn't affect the drawer depth as long as it's even with the other dust panels. You guys see any reason that won't work. Only other thing I can think to do is plug the mortise and cut a new one.

image-3251545723.jpg

image-4098438883.jpg

image-3100695609.jpg

image-1367984886.jpg

image-733616749.jpg

image-3395972664.jpg

pit bulls rock!

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
What you have planned would work alright. I would just add wood to the face and trim the bottom divider to fit though. Another option is it's common for the drawers to recess back a little from the legs on a chest of drawers like that so you could just have a little more reveal than you planned and just leave your bottom rail like it is and adjust all the dividers to fit if you haven't built the drawers yet.

Another thing you might think about since you have a full panel in your drawer dividers is when you close the drawer it gets air compressed in the drawer cavity and makes it difficult to close. You might cut some holes in the dividers for the air to escape.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If it were my project (a very nice project BTW) I would simply fit and glue a piece into the mortise with the grain oriented parallel and then just make a new mortise in the right place.

Bret

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I think like Lola Ranch although your solution should work. Last project I tried using "plans" went all wrong. Seems like "plans" are written by folks who never touched a chisel. Think about what you're doing... that is real woodworking... learning to hide mistakes. Your Mom will be so proud of you! Everybody who will come to visit her will see what you have made.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys! I was I bit irritated last night after seeing my mistake. But after sleeping on it and then seeing all your responses this morning I feel better. Not sure just yet which route I'll take, but I really doesn't seem like such a big deal now. It's my fault it happened but I will say that that detail was very easily overlooked in the plans. I will update with my progress and pics

pit bulls rock!

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
I'm thinking I will rip more off the dust panel and the laminate a thin price on the face of the bottom rail to keep the reveal on the bottom rail the same as the rest of the dust panels. I think this will work fine because you wouldn't be able to see I did it unless you looked from the under side and it shouldn't affect the drawer depth as long as it's even with the other dust panels.
+1. :yes: I agree. IMO this would be your easiest fix.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to mess around with it when I get home today. I always felt like I was missing something not using plans but I know now that they aren't all there cracked up to be, they left alot to be desired in the way of details in my opinion. When were were searching images for an idea of what she wanted she saw those plans and loved the dresser and mirror to go with it. So I thought what the heck they are only a few dollars from woodcraft why not. I could have done just as well designing it myself

pit bulls rock!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so I've been in the shop for the past hour thinking and decided to just go ahead and laminate a thin piece over the bottom rail. It's glued and clamped now. I really debated plugging and cutting a new mortise. Decided against it cause I felt it would be too awkward to attempt on my drill press now that it's a whole side panel assembly. I would have had to support it at two points and be able to move it. I suck at chopping them by hand and don't have a jig built for my router so too much room for further error I felt. I just set up the band saw and sliced a price slightly over what I need and figure I'll just trim it flush with a bearing bit and then send it thru the planer till I get where I need to be.

pit bulls rock!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got up early this morning and went in shop so I could finish my repair before work. Turned out pretty good. You can see the difference in grain when you look at the top or bottom of the rail but your never gonna see the bottom and once the drawers are in you won't see the top either. Just have to trim the dust panel a bit more and I'm ready for assembly of the case.

image-3187174925.jpg

image-2823252344.jpg

image-3674999157.jpg

pit bulls rock!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok guys I think I'm ready for glue up. Dry fit is great it's like my mistake never happend

image-3461931934.jpg

image-3243444044.jpg

pit bulls rock!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
That's a good woodworking lesson that you just got. I like to call it "Creative Redesign". Everyone makes the occasional goof (in my case more that occasional!) and the trick is to fix it so you can't tell it ever happened.

A nice fix and a very nice project!

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts