Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Lurker
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm building a set of wall mounted bookshelves for my room. Nothing fancy. I was hoping to get some advice on possible sag issues with my design.

Here's some general information. If I leave anything out, let me know and I'll update asap.

The shelves will be made out of select pine board (radiata), using 1x6 for the back and 1x8 for the base. The shelves measure 61" W, 8" D and 5 1/2" H. Each shelf will have ends that measure 5 1/2" x 8" and two dividers that measure 4 3/4" x 7 1/4". Assembly will be done with screws and titebond. No dados or joints will be used since we lack the proper equipment for anything like that. I hope to keep the design as is, possibly adding a third divider for stability if needed. The shelving will be mounted into three studs and hold somewhere between 75-85lbs of books.

I added a Google Sketchup file as an attachment. Sorry if a picture would have been preferred, but I'm not sure how to atm.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Add a front edge strip

A five foot shelf will definitely sag regardless of weight. (Well they almost all sag.)

The back piece will do a great job of making the back of the shelf rigid. I suggest adding a front edge to the shelf to make it at least twice the thickness of the wood itself. If it's a typical 3/4" board, I would securely mount a 3/4" deep by 1 1/2" high lip to the front edge. If you need roll-off protection let it extend higher than the shelf. More likely, though, you'd mount the board flush with the top of the shelf, letting the extra 3/4" hang below.

Attachment needs to be strong, obviously, and I like to put a shallow rabbet on the top back of the edging at the thickness of the shelf. Makes glue up a lot easier too.

Last thing, if the thicker look for the shelf is too heavy a feel for the piece, chamfer or round over the bottom front edge of the edging to raise the shadow line and give it a thinner feel (in the right light, anyway).

My 2 cents.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts