Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I'm newer to the woodworking world, but not green. I teach entry level woodshop to high school students so I do know how to use woodworking tools safely and make basic projects. I have designed a table I'd like to build, and I know it will really push my skills. I have two areas circled on the image shown and would love your input. The top will be slab black walnut, legs ash, and middle stringer/supports also walnut which hopefully is clear in the model I made. All material (with the exception of the top slab) is 8/4 rough, so the legs will be 2 boards approximately 5.5" wide laminated together, so final depth of the legs will be 3". For circle A - how would you make this joint? Originally I thought of a miter for the two portions stemming from the legs, and cutting a spear into the middle, but then I realized I don't know how I would clamp that. Any ideas? For circle B - would you recommend laminating so the seam is showing, and make two notches that will hold the middle support? I'm open to other options, I thought of drilling a forstner bit through, lag bolts, and walnut plugs. I appreciate your help in advance! Thank you!

·
Registered
225 Posts
My suggestions would be:
For joint A, miter the long stretcher on the sides to meet with miters on the adjoining short stretchers that attach to the legs. Rather than bolts or screws that could be recessed and filled with dowels, you might consider vertical dovetails on the mitered end grain of each piece. These could be cut by clamping them in a vise and use a router with an edge guide or with a router table or shaper. In either case, some shop made jigs would be needed to keep the pieces stable during the cuts.

For Joint B, since your design shows the short stretchers protruding through the legs, perhaps a square or rectangle hole through the protruding portion of the short stretcher which would accept a wedge driven through the hole and against the outside of the leg. Another option would be to drill a though hole horizontally through the leg/short stretcher and fill with a glued dowel.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Everyone, I'm newer to the woodworking world, but not green. I teach entry level woodshop to high school students so I do know how to use woodworking tools safely and make basic projects. I have designed a table I'd like to build, and I know it will really push my skills. I have two areas circled on the image shown and would love your input. The top will be slab black walnut, legs ash, and middle stringer/supports also walnut which hopefully is clear in the model I made. All material (with the exception of the top slab) is 8/4 rough, so the legs will be 2 boards approximately 5.5" wide laminated together, so final depth of the legs will be 3". For circle A - how would you make this joint? Originally I thought of a miter for the two portions stemming from the legs, and cutting a spear into the middle, but then I realized I don't know how I would clamp that. Any ideas? For circle B - would you recommend laminating so the seam is showing, and make two notches that will hold the middle support? I'm open to other options, I thought of drilling a forstner bit through, lag bolts, and walnut plugs. I appreciate your help in advance! Thank you!
View attachment 425552
For Joint A I would consider loose tenons. For joint B I would cut the end of the through tenon and install a wedge during glue up. In your case I think a wedge of Ash would be a nice accent to the joint and show it off a bit. Let us know what you decide, interested to see the finished product. The legs appear splayed in the drawing, will propose some challenges.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello again moosejive16 I´m thinking you may have come to a halt with this project.
Seems to me you have a representation, but not a design.
Definitions can be geographical, but to me a design gives all the necessary information for making the piece.
On that assumption, you do not yet have a design.
I´ve had architects giving me drawings of things which are impossible to build, they had seven years training, so don´t be discouraged.
What you make, will be governed by the processes, ie, the joints and material preparation, which will determine the finished product. Work from the ground up, would be my advice -- it has to exist on paper before it can appear on the bench.
When designing, don´t ignore existing practises, for example, your stringers will not oppose the forces they are meant to. If you are going to alter standard procedure then fine -- but you need to find a way of achieving the same result, or you have simply designed something worse.
When making door furniture, I soon learned to begin with the screw holes -- there´s nothing worse than designing a beautiful door handle, then realising there´s nowhere to drill fixing holes !
Learning to build, is a prerequisite to learning to design.

M

·
where's my table saw?
28,716 Posts
edited, removed

·
Registered
Bah humbug
4,066 Posts
View attachment 425552
You'll have to decide for yourself how far you want to invest in the project. Nobody here has to do the work or make decision's...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts