Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently absorbed a 12 x 24 slab, to which I am also adding a 12 x 20 wood shed . The shed will sit at a right angle to the slab, so I can use the slab as workspace. I am going to use the space to do wood working and small engine repair. I also have a 6 x 6 "garden shed" which I plan to seal better to store supplies(paint, cleaning chemicals, shop towels etc). I'd like to make all my power tools(belt sander, drill press, scroll saw,etc) mobile. So, this creates a couple questions... what would be a good solution to store power tools outside and avoid rust? I'm considering tarps amd some kind of dessicant OR should I use the wood shed to store mobile tools since it should relatively weatherproof. Additionally I am swapping to more pegboard usefor hand tools IE sheathing about 30 feet of wall with pegboard, and utilizing toolboxes, for lesser used tools. I plan to use about 6 x 12 to create an office space as well. All constructive input is welcome, especially about power tool storage outdoors. Electrical is mostly covered, as I have access to a 60amps of 240v, when I grow beyond that, I'll consider adding a second service

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
you didn't mention where you are - rust isn't a real big issue in the desert but along the coast it's a major thing....

in Penna we have four seasons - I would not dream of storing power tools in an outdoor shed. if you're in an area that gets morning dew on the ground, that is a clear indicator that moisture will condense on tools and create rust.

you'll also want to plan out how to handle oily/greasy bits from the engine repair separate from the wood.
and keep in mind - you'll have saw dust everywhere which may not sit well with an engine that torn down....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you didn't mention where you are - rust isn't a real big issue in the desert but along the coast it's a major thing....

in Penna we have four seasons - I would not dream of storing power tools in an outdoor shed. if you're in an area that gets morning dew on the ground, that is a clear indicator that moisture will condense on tools and create rust.

you'll also want to plan out how to handle oily/greasy bits from the engine repair separate from the wood.
and keep in mind - you'll have saw dust everywhere which may not sit well with an engine that torn down....
Ok I had brain fart, I'm in Eastern GA, right on the SC border. So yeah humdity is a huge thing here. Currently I share 1/2 of a 2 car garage, it is a huge fustercluck, nothing has a home and workspace is a nightmare. I am vacating the garage to the outdooor space and kinda lost as to placement and organzation

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
if it's the only option . . . you could seal up and insulate the 12x20, install heating to keep the shed temp above the dew point, fan to circulate air....

electric baseboard heat would likely be enough in your area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts