Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I built a rudimentary stand for my new 12" sliding compound miter saw. The table itself was the easy part - the harder part is creating the hinged "wings" on the sides of the table so I can put them up to support longer lumber.

See I've been slowly building out my shop so that my router table, work bench and now the miter stand are all perfectly level at the same height. This will allow me to prop lumber on top of all three when I'm working in the shop. The problem is the miter stand has wheels so I can move it out and use it elsewhere. When I do so, I'll need supports to work with longer lumber.

I used hinges to hold the pieces up and was going to go with a simple angled prop to hold them up. Once I did so the supports had play in them so that they wouldn't be guaranteed to sit square at the miter saw.

My thoughts are to use a piano hinge to eliminate the wiggle though I've got to find some other way to hold the support in place so as to not move.

I'm open to suggestions - my base idea is something like the attached. My table uses 4x4's for legs wrapped in a 2x4 frame with 3/4" plywood as the top. I didn't get complicated in the joinery as my entire shop is a mess till I get organized - this stand being a big part of that. Later I'll be slowly replacing my tables and stands with better designed ones but for now I'm more about function than form.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
So yesterday I built a rudimentary stand for my new 12" sliding compound miter saw. The table itself was the easy part - the harder part is creating the hinged "wings" on the sides of the table so I can put them up to support longer lumber.

See I've been slowly building out my shop so that my router table, work bench and now the miter stand are all perfectly level at the same height. This will allow me to prop lumber on top of all three when I'm working in the shop. The problem is the miter stand has wheels so I can move it out and use it elsewhere. When I do so, I'll need supports to work with longer lumber.

I used hinges to hold the pieces up and was going to go with a simple angled prop to hold them up. Once I did so the supports had play in them so that they wouldn't be guaranteed to sit square at the miter saw.

My thoughts are to use a piano hinge to eliminate the wiggle though I've got to find some other way to hold the support in place so as to not move.

I'm open to suggestions - my base idea is something like the attached. My table uses 4x4's for legs wrapped in a 2x4 frame with 3/4" plywood as the top. I didn't get complicated in the joinery as my entire shop is a mess till I get organized - this stand being a big part of that. Later I'll be slowly replacing my tables and stands with better designed ones but for now I'm more about function than form.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Rockler has a bracket that might do the trick. It locks when up to hold the extensions straight and can be dropped when you want to lower the extensions. Check it out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rockler has a bracket that might do the trick. It locks when up to hold the extensions straight and can be dropped when you want to lower the extensions. Check it out.
I'm going to go look over their hardware again - I spent some time there before I started this thing and don't remember finding anything that would work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a sketch Up of my last design of my miter saw stand. I actually put levelers + rollers on the bottom rather than legs
I saw another one that had those fold out panels that support the wings but was unsure how to keep the panel under the same spot under the wing...what did you use to hold it in place and does it do a good enough job keep the wing straight without wobbling?

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
The top of each support has an adjustable 3/8 bolt with two nuts for locking. I adjust them until I am satisfied with the level then lock the nuts down. The support wings are attached with heavy duty piano hinges. Stable

The horizontal wings are attached to the side with heavy duty piano hinges. They keep the horizontal wings stable.

On the bottom of each horizontal wing, I first move the support wings until I find the spot where I want the bolt to provide the support. Mark this location and attach 1x1 shop made L-brackets to the bottom of each horizontal wing. Then when I open the wings I move the support wing out until it comes to rest in the brackets.

I have been using it since 2007 and had to adjust the level bolts twice. All that in the first couple months after starting use. I am very satisfied with this plan.

No wobble.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The top of each support has an adjustable 3/8 bolt with two nuts for locking. I adjust them until I am satisfied with the level then lock the nuts down. The support wings are attached with heavy duty piano hinges. Stable

The horizontal wings are attached to the side with heavy duty piano hinges. They keep the horizontal wings stable.

On the bottom of each horizontal wing, I first move the support wings until I find the spot where I want the bolt to provide the support. Mark this location and attach 1x1 shop made L-brackets to the bottom of each horizontal wing. Then when I open the wings I move the support wing out until it comes to rest in the brackets.

I have been using it since 2007 and had to adjust the level bolts twice. All that in the first couple months after starting use. I am very satisfied with this plan.

No wobble.
I literally drove myself crazy yesterday with this. Now unfortunately I can't get back into the shop till at least tomorrow but that will give me time to go buy some piano hinges (which I decided to buy already, now I'll just get more) and the other hardware. I was also making shop made 1x1 brackets to hold up my prop supports though they didn't have the desired end result.

I don't suppose it would be too much to ask if you gave me a pic of the underside of the horizontal wings and the top of the support wings? I'm interested to see how that bolt set up is.

Thanks a bunch man!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts