Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquired a Type 9 6C and it needs a good cleaning. I want to sand the tote and knob and restain/coat them. I have what was recommended to me Minwax Jacobean to re-stain them, but wonder what the best sealer is? I have a can of semi gloss varathane (outdoor), is that something i could use to seal them? Or is there something else that works better? Thanks for the help! I also need a couple parts for a Union No. 41 tongue and groove if someone happens to have some. Feel free to message me here.

Pat

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I have recently acquired a Type 9 6C and it needs a good cleaning. I want to sand the tote and knob and restain/coat them. I have what was recommended to me Minwax Jacobean to re-stain them, but wonder what the best sealer is? I have a can of semi gloss varathane (outdoor), is that something i could use to seal them? Or is there something else that works better? Thanks for the help! I also need a couple parts for a Union No. 41 tongue and groove if someone happens to have some. Feel free to message me here.

Pat
I've used an interior oil base varnish, or an oil base polyurethane.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I use Truoil. It's a common gunstock finish. You can even buy it in Walmart in the gun section. I forget what it is, but remember it's nothing really unusual-probably some linseed or tung oil mix, and designed to be handled. It holds up well, and looks like original finish.

My first check for plane parts is nhplaneparts on ebay. He and his wife have been doing it for a long time, and have a most amazing inventory.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A type 8 should have rosewood knobs -- I hope you're not staining these.
Shellac or lacquer would be appropriate, but stains, BLO and the like will only darken them to the point that the grain will be obscured.
(Jacobean is a fine choice for hardwood knobs such as found on wartime models)

·
Registered
326 Posts
If your plane has the rosewood handles, you really don't need to stain them. Here is a good link on some tips on refinishing.
http://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/planes101/handle/refinish.htm
Myself I use Watco Danish oil, then follow up with a couple coats of Teak oil applied with oooo steel wool, wipe off the slurry with a lint free cloth..You can get a real shiny finish with more coats or a semi gloss appearance. Personally I prefer the oil finish, because of the look and feel.
Fresh out of the box look is nice, but the period style look to me is better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A type 8 should have rosewood knobs -- I hope you're not staining these.
Shellac or lacquer would be appropriate, but stains, BLO and the like will only darken them to the point that the grain will be obscured.
(Jacobean is a fine choice for hardwood knobs such as found on wartime models)
I have been doing my homework on this plane, it has a type 8 frog but the body is that of a type 9. (two patent dates and no B cast into the plane). It looks like my new 6C is an example of "No parts left behind" at the Stanley factory. I am headed to an estate sale but will post pictures when I get home.

Thank you all for the advice, I will check that website as well for the parts for my Union No. 41.

Pat

·
Registered
326 Posts
What Teak Oil do you use?
I use The Watco brand, been having some good results.
A came across this in another forum where you start off with the Danish oil first and follow up with the Teak oil, was posted by a old time cabinet maker who accidentally stumbled upon it. Works for me.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I use The Watco brand, been having some good results.
A came across this in another forum where you start off with the Danish oil first and follow up with the Teak oil, was posted by a old time cabinet maker who accidentally stumbled upon it. Works for me.
The Watco Danish Oil, and the Teak Oil are basically the same thing. They are a BLO, varnish resin, mineral spirit mix. Each is a stand alone film finish, not just a penetrating oil.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here are the pictures of the 6C I picked up as well as the Union No. 41 and the Stanley No. 79 I nabbed as well. 25 bucks for all three, hopefully they come out nice when they are cleaned up. I also picked up a Kennedy No. 1018 tool box for ten bucks and a Arkansas hard stone for FREE..

As you can see with the two patent dates and no B the plane is a type 9 and the frog is a type 8. With the pictures can any of you tell if I should use the danish oil or sand/stain the tote/knob? Thanks again for your help!

Pat

EDIT: The lateral lever has a patent date of "7-24-88" that's why I believe the frog is a Type 8.

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
It is not easy to see any detail from the pictures. On my computer they are rather small.

The earlier replies mentioned the finish Stanley would have used, or you can use a more modern finish, but not the "true" Stanley.

You should decide what to use on the knob and tote based on whether you want true to the period or a finish for a user plane.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is not easy to see any detail from the pictures. On my computer they are rather small.

The earlier replies mentioned the finish Stanley would have used, or you can use a more modern finish, but not the "true" Stanley.

You should decide what to use on the knob and tote based on whether you want true to the period or a finish for a user plane.
I'm not sure why the pictures came out so small. I uploaded them to my google images and then uploaded them to the website. Either way, lots of good info here for a nice updating of the tote/knob. Thanks again everybody.

Pat

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Watco Danish Oil, and the Teak Oil are basically the same thing. They are a BLO, varnish resin, mineral spirit mix. Each is a stand alone film finish, not just a penetrating oil.
Thanks for that info,guess just the repetitive steps where the only thing that was making the finish look better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You use the No 48 yet?
I haven't used it. I think there is a screw/blade/arm missing perhaps. There's only one screw/blade and if I'm not mistaken there should be two, correct? Also are the knobs from the Union No. 41 and the Stanley No. 48 compatible? Thanks,

Pat

1 - 20 of 25 Posts