Woodworking Talk banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,232 Posts
My advice is wear a good respirator. Many years ago I sprayed poly on a desk I made and coughed the entire night. Poly vapors is really bad on your lungs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
My advice is wear a good respirator. Many years ago I sprayed poly on a desk I made and coughed the entire night. Poly vapors is really bad on your lungs.
I'm one up on you. I sprayed one gallon of Dupont Nason outdoors using a respirator and held my breath when down wind from the paint. I coughed for six months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Funny you should mention a portable spray booth! I refinished my dining table, chairs and buffet with oil based Poly. Since it takes a long time to dry, Was afraid i'd get dust or bugs landing on finish while drying. So.... I bought an 8 X 8 greenhouse. It has a domed metal frame, with a plastic "tent" that can be opened for spraying, zipped shut for drying! I paid about $140 for it, have used it outside, and inside my garage. It has paid for itself several times over!!! Love it!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,156 Posts
I've had bad luck spraying varnish, but good luck brushing it by using a really, really, really good brush. I have an oval, bristle brush that leaves little to any brush marks. I also learned to not over brush it. It was tough; there's always the temptation to keep brushing it, but you've got to resist. Brush it on and leave it the heck alone so it can level.

As for mineral spirits, it seems there's so much stuff out there now called mineral spirits, it's hard to tell what's what. I've left brushes suspended in "mineral spirits" and come back to find them looking like they were dipped in paraffin. Lately, I've been using turpentine instead. I think it dries a little slower to allow for better leveling and I at least know what I'm getting (or at least I think I do :)
 
41 - 44 of 44 Posts
Top