Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,
I saved up my money and bought the dw735x, based on reviews that it has the least snipe of all planers. It's a nice machine, but I still get very noticeable snipe and haven't yet determined the pattern as to why. Is it large pieces? deep cuts? etc.

I have the stock infeed/outfeed tables that came with the package. I noticed that they're not level with the base, but are slightly angled. Is that an issue?

I was contemplating building a larger outfeed table. Will that help? What about infeed? Which contributes more to planer snipe more...in or outfeed?

Has anyone gotten that planer to plane material snipe-free?...or do I just have to buy a lot more wood and just cut off the sniped pieces?

Any wisdom/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I try to feed the stock slowly and take the smallest cuts possible, but haven mastered eliminating the snipe. I am also contemplating buying one of those rolling stands like the PC136MS http://www.lowes.com/pd_181828-79992-PC136MS_0__?storeNumber=1198&Ntt=porter+cable+stand&UserSearch=porter+cable+stand&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%408ef08ef]&productId=3064269&ipTrail=66.31.22.237&rpp=32#BVRRWidgetID or DeWalt DWX726 Amazon.com: DEWALT DWX726 Rolling Miter Saw Stand: Home Improvement so I can give it much more support (I don't have a lot of space, so I can't build long tables myself unless I can easily put them away)

Steven

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I level my in & outfeed tables so they're level with the bed, and I use a portable roller a few feet off the back of it to give the board more support, I rarely get snipe.

Ryan

·
7,222 Posts
Hello All,
I saved up my money and bought the dw735x, based on reviews that it has the least snipe of all planers. It's a nice machine, but I still get very noticeable snipe and haven't yet determined the pattern as to why. Is it large pieces? deep cuts? etc.

I have the stock infeed/outfeed tables that came with the package. I noticed that they're not level with the base, but are slightly angled. Is that an issue?

I was contemplating building a larger outfeed table. Will that help? What about infeed? Which contributes more to planer snipe more...in or outfeed?

Has anyone gotten that planer to plane material snipe-free?...or do I just have to buy a lot more wood and just cut off the sniped pieces?
The 735 does get good reviews. Sorry to say that some of the machines cause snipe. Mine does, and it sounds like yours does.

Other folks have reported no snipe. So it seems to be inconsistent.

Common methods to attempt to reduce snipe :
a) Have the infeed and outfeed tables slightly elevated. I have done this, sounds like you also have them elevated.
b) Lift the board slightly as it enters the planer, and again on exit. I routinely do this.
c) Make the board 6 in longer than required and cut off the snipe. I hate wasting wood.

I am left with accept the snipe and sand it off afterwards.

Other than the snipe the machine works well. I do wish I had a manual head lock feature like my previous planer. If I manually locked the old planer I did not get snipe.

I feel the infeed and outfeed rollers have too much allowable movement. They are spring loaded and no provision to minimize how much they move which I feel contributes to the snipe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
How much snipe are you getting. I get a few thousands, but I always plan on cutting 3-4 inches off each end anyway. I find I have less snipe with boards that are properly jointed versus dimensional lumber I'm just planing down. Properly jointed I get close to zero.

For a stand, I use the DeWalt 7350 stand. Great for just moving around the shop, and only takes as much space on the floor as the planer itself. It moves around very easily.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I would start by leveling the end feed and out feed with the planer base. I normally don't get any snipe. However, I have noticed when I plan down to 1/4" I get some snipe on the exit end. I have not leveled my tables in over 3 years. It may be time to recheck. Not a problem with thicker prices.
Tom

·
7,222 Posts
I would start by leveling the end feed and out feed with the planer base.
I did start with my 735 tables being level. I have a 3ft long reference straight edge which was used to achieve a very good level.

After observing the snipe I made some internet searches, and the common advise was to raise the outer edges of the infeed and outfeed tables, which I did. I still have snipe.

I have read many threads on the 735. I think some folks experience no snipe, and some unlucky folks like me, get snipe no matter what we have tried to eliminate the snipe.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Snipe is waiting to happen on any 2 roller machine and it starts to occur after time and has to be fixed periodically. My 735 is mounted in a long shop-made bed, which keeps snipe at a minimum as long as I keep the bed waxed, the rollers livened with mineral spirits and the blades sharp. The key with 2 roller machines is to not let the end (either end) rise up into the cutter. The in-out feed tables will reduce snipe by trying to overcome the tilt-down as the stick comes free of the other roller, but the lumber still has to be supported all the way out. Try lifting the end up before the piece is almost through the planer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.