Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still new to turning. I've made some bottle stoppers out of maple, and what I believe to be Bubinga.
I just received some Zebrawood, Cocobolo, Black Palm, and Bocote. Any of these particularly challenging and if so what's the best way to work with it?
I'll be turing more stoppers with these woods.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Black Palm is the nastiest "wood" I ever turned.

I will only use it again if it has been stabilized (that is, resin impregnated), it was like trying to turn a bundle of drinking straws.

Cocobolo is one of my favorites (it's in the rosewood family, I love all of those). I don't remember any problems with Zebrawood or Bocote.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Bacote turnes well. Zebra wood also but smells like horse manure. Some people are alergic to Cocobolo and it is a sensitizer so if you not alergic now you will be if you keep turning it and don't use some sort of dust collection or a mask.
I've had good black palm and bad black palm. Use very sharp tools and turn downhill with the grain as much as possible. Scrapers will only pull the fibers out.

·
Registered
557 Posts
John has it pretty well covered. I won't turn black palm again most pieces wind up on the burn pile. Not a huge fan of bubinga but turn the others a lot. Usually have to finish the zebrawood with my 80 grit skew even with very sharp tools. Love the look but we don't play well together sometimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.