Woodworking Talk banner

Advice on dog bowl stand

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  woodweasel 
#1 ·
I hope I'm posting this in the right area. I'm making a dog bowl stand for a friend whose dog needs a "slow feed bowl" for his food (before this you could blink your eyes and the dish was empty!). I've built it out of walnut and cut the holes for water and food out of plywood for the top. The water dish has a lip to hold it in BUT the food dish doesn't. I'm not sure I can post pics so if they don't come through, you can see the dish at Amazon, searching for "skid stop slow feed pet bowl." I'll try to attach a pic though. The bowl needs to "drop in" the hole in the top and be held in some way. Does anyone here have any ideas or suggestions of what to attach or build on the underside of the plywood top to do this? Thanks much.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Never heard of a slow feed dish before. Interesting invention. Simple but I can see how it would slow bowser down. As far as your project the only thing I can come up with would be to hinge the half that holds the food bowl so you can get it out to fill. The water side can remain fixed as it has a lip to grab for removal. Cut the hole for the food side close to the top side of the bowl so scraps don't fall down into the stand. Have the bowl protrude a little above the top of the stand to mitigate sliding. Not sure if I explained what I'm thinking clearly. Basically the top of the stand would be 1/2 fixed (for water) and 1/2 hinged (for food) that lifts towards the rear. That's my take on it, I'm sure others will come along with better ideas.

EDIT: Acercanto posted while I was typing an even simpler fix. See, I knew someone would come up with something better!

#4 · (Edited)
If it is elliptical in shape, as it appears, possibly use that feature to drop in a hole and rotate as a cam lock in some way.

When my kids were small I milked a hard milking Holstein for 7 years that could eat 3 lb. of concentrates long before this experienced old man ( 30 years younger then ) could milk 4 gallon by hand. The solution was to put a few 2 lb. rocks in the feed box.

#6 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the help!
Acer, I hadn't thought at all about cutting off the outer part to make a lip...that's something I'll have to check with my friend on. It's definitely the simplest idea but oddly enough I'm not sure she'll like doing that. Just in case she doesn't, I was now thinking of maybe adding slats below the food dish hole perpendicular and attached to the longer aprons (vs. attaching anything to the plywood top). Does anyone see a problem with this? As long as there's something to hold the bottom of the bowl that's all that matters.

John, my fellow Cubs fan (my only word for you is WHEN!) -- I think I can envision what you're thinking BUT do you think what I described above could work without the hinge? That way she can just drop the bowl in from the top...

Sand maybe it's the pics above that make it look elliptical but the bowl is actually perfectly round.

I'll see if I can take some pics and add them soon. Thanks for the help guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.