Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i am trying to figure out how to cut a thin 1-2mm slot in the face of some MDF. The picture is for reference and not to scale, I will be putting a piece of sheet metal vertically in the slot. the problem I have is how do I keep the cut straight and not extend out the side of the piece.

any advice would be aprecated

Attachments

·
Registered
27,551 Posts
Start with a larger piece and make a template with the square hole in the center and clamp it to your part. Then use a router with a template guide and run the groove. After it is cut then cut the board to the finished size.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Don't know your slot width but for a thin slot use a vibrator tool that can be bought at HF tools for less than $20. The blade vibrates back and forth . Forget whatbthey are called but Thier history was to cut off broken bone casting material. Tom

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Start with a larger piece and make a template with the square hole in the center and clamp it to your part. Then use a router with a template guide and run the groove. After it is cut then cut the board to the finished size.
+1: that's the best way. Straight shank, flat bottomed bit with template guide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

I like the vibration tool idea but i don't have one (new tool, yay ) but I'm unsure of how to keep the cut straight and of constant depth???
as for the clamp on guide here are photos of the actual pieces I'm trying to cut a slot in, as well as the piece of sheet metal that has to be slotted in.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Looking at the picture the vibrating tool would seem that be ideal . suggest a streight​ edge to follow the line. This would make a steight cut as there is only back and fort motion, no sideways. Tom

·
Registered
115 Posts
MDF is part wood and resin heat baked under pressure, really tough on tool steel. Carbide lasts about 5x longer. Never seen a carbide hand plane. Power planers do offer, but pricy. Not much sense in this as the costs of the planner blade exceeds that of the MDF. Better idea is to laminate thinner pieces of real wood to that of a thinner piece of MDF . You can sand MDF , but again it's tough on the sandpaper also. Tom

·
Registered
324 Posts
hello, i am trying to figure out how to cut a thin 1-2mm slot in the face of some MDF. The picture is for reference and not to scale, I will be putting a piece of sheet metal vertically in the slot. the problem I have is how do I keep the cut straight and not extend out the side of the piece.

any advice would be aprecated
Definitly a plunge router, as has been suggested. Any unguided tool will want to wander.
Best would be a plunge router on a guide rail, Image 1.

Problem, that's a $500 rig. Worth it, but hard to justify if this is for hobby and not income.

Less expensive, much cheaper plunge router with template guide. Make a jig by setting (2) 1/4" thick panels just the right distance apart, then use a gusset plate at each end to fix the spacing. The router will be guided by the slot.

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm assuming the 1-2mm is the width, not the depth. In that case, I've never seen a 1-2mm router bit. If you have access to a metal lathe you could make one form tool steel. Short life but would work. As suggested, a Fein tool would work if setup with a custom guiding system. You could fabricate the guide in wood. HF sells cheap knock offs of the Fein.
You would still need to finish out the corners by hand. Make a scratch stock for that. Actually you could do the entire thing with a scratch stock. Might spend considerable time keeping it sharp.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm assuming the 1-2mm is the width, not the depth. In that case, I've never seen a 1-2mm router bit. If you have access to a metal lathe you could make one form tool steel. Short life but would work. As suggested, a Fein tool would work if setup with a custom guiding system. You could fabricate the guide in wood. HF sells cheap knock offs of the Fein.
You would still need to finish out the corners by hand. Make a scratch stock for that. Actually you could do the entire thing with a scratch stock. Might spend considerable time keeping it sharp.
Hi Larry.
Just ask the Google.
1.5mm is 1/16" and those are everywhere, like home depot. But I would get one from Whiteside.

2.3mm is 3/32"
0.8mm is 1/32"

For those sizes I'd go to http://tinyurl.com/yd9v8mby

For a 2mm bit from Freud Amazon's got'em.
Actually Amazon has a set of 1, 1.5, 2, and 3mm. http://tinyurl.com/y8kzt2f3

I would set the depth of cut at no more than 1 x the diameter for each cut, and go slow. I'm not saying the Fein is the wrong tool, I'm sure there's lots of ways to do this. I would use a router as described, more precise. But just me.

·
where's my table saw?
29,383 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the multi-tool

I got the vibration tool from harbor freight cause it was 20bucks, I know it won't last but i don't intend to use it much. As it turns out the wood blade for it is the same thickness as the sheet metal i was trying to insert. I used a scrap piece of the MDF as a fence and just camped it to the work surface. Maby not as precision as it could have been but also not needed. ( p.s. i probably should have painted "after" i finished cutting )

Thank's every ore for your solutions and help.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts