Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to wood turning and am trying to buy a small entry level lathe. My price range is $500-$1000. I am trying to limit the size because I don't have a large space in my garage for it. I want to have a portable one to put on a table when I using it. Any suggestions is much appreciated! I know this is not enough information to get good helpful advice so please ask me anything you need to know.

Thanks!

P.S.: I have absolutely no experience in this and would like to start to do this as a hobby of course.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Guys! I will take a look.

One more question: Where do you guys buy or get the wood? Is there an online site I can order from or it is usually a local store I have to look for?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thanks, Guys! I will take a look.

One more question: Where do you guys buy or get the wood? Is there an online site I can order from or it is usually a local store I have to look for?
It would help to know where you live.

I can't speak for others, but my best wood comes from local lumber yards and woodworking stores. The very best wood is purchased by the board foot.

I also get wood from friends. In addition, I have construction-grade lumber leftovers from previous projects. I have some old plywood, which was originally used to support mattresses in beds. Sometimes I salvage wood from old furniture that I see on the curb for trash, which would otherwise go to the landfill.

I keep some wood around for ready use. I keep 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 inch baltic birch plywood around for general needs. I like to keep a board or two of maple and walnut around. I have a few poplar boards, and a few boards of "SPF" (spruce, pine, fir) - cheap softwood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks! Very helpful!

I live in the Boston area. I was looking at Amazon or woodworking sites for blanks (just learned that word :)) but found out that would be an expensive way of buying them. I have to look for something local as you suggested. Still need to buy because I have no other wood related activity to give me left overs.

Just curious, what do you make with plywood? Not too thin for turning?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts