Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first say that, man, I love the internet. It is amazing that there is a place to ask knowledgeable people about pretty much any subject that I haven’t the slightest clue about.

I am hoping to get some advice on a little project I am about to work on. I am new here and apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong place. The project will include modifying my guitar pedalboard, which I have included a couple pictures of below.

Basically my goal is to somehow extend the length of the top shelf by about 5 ½ inches. The current dimensions of top shelf are 44.5” x 9”, and the ideal length would be about 50”. I have no idea what kind of wood it is made of. It had been sitting in my basement for a few years being unused.

My father will be helping me, and he has a decent collection of tools that I will be able to use.

While extending the length is the main goal, I would also like to improve the overall appearance of the wood. The current wood is pretty unattractive, and although a traditional wood pattern would be fine, I would love for the top shelf to have the look of a cool, unique piece of wood. Not sure how feasible that is though.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
- Drew

·
Registered
7 Posts
My advice would be to build a whole new shelf.
And with the new shelf you're gonna want to look towards the future of adding new equipment.
That way you can use whatever wood you'd want. And you wouldn't be building it bare minimum for what you've got now.

But there's a few ways you can go about it. Find similar wood, I don't know what kind of wood that is. And atatch it to the shorter shelf. With some glue and screws. It wouldn't matter what type of wood entirely... If you ask me.

What you've got there is VERY BASIC. so...
But even with it being very basic. I still can't get a full grasp on what it entirely looks like. From the photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the reply! I really appreciate the time you spent on making that diagram.

But I am not sure I am up for making an entire new shelf at this point.

As I did a poor job describing my setup and the photos don’t show it well enough, let me try and explain better.

The upper and lower parts are two completely separate shelves. The only thing keeping the top shelf up is being able to rest up against the bottom shelf. I don’t have access to it right now, but the top shelf (the one I am interested in lengthening) is a wall shelf that looks similar to the following:

I have cut out a little notch in the brackets, which allows the shelf to stand up securely as this notch rests in the edge of the bottom shelf.

Would it be possible to just attach a piece of wood that is 50" x 9" on top of the current 44.5" x "9" board? And then just maybe add some edging to hide the fact that there are two different boards? If this is not possible, I would look into making an entire new shelf but I am hoping to avoid that at this point.

Thanks again in advance for any help/advice you can provide.

Drew

Here is another picture which shows the side of the bottom shelf a little better. Not sure if it’s helpful but I thought I'd include it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts