Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My project is a turquoise-covered longhorn skull. I want to paint the skull black (I'm thinking rustoleum black spray, it seems easy enough) and then lacquer it so it will be shiny--I need advice on what the best lacquer would be.

I'm looking for a lacquer that is clear and will not discolor over time. High high high gloss. I also want to build the lacquer up in numerous, thin layers--I want it to have slightly squishy, deep look. Since this is for decorative purposes the lacquer doesn't have to hold up to strong wear-and-tear, but it must look gorgeous. My focus is on looks.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It is especially helpful if the lacquer is easy to find on the internet or in most hardware stores

Thank you so much everybody!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add--I only want to lacquer the skull, the turquoise will go on top of the lacquer

·
Registered
629 Posts
You're gonna need to seal the bone before lacquer.
Spray a couple coats of Zinsser Seal Coat shellac.
Rattle cans of lacquer are available if you don't have the spray equipment.
Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like Zinsser! I paint houses, so this isn't completely unfamiliar to me. But what kind of seal do you recommend?

·
Registered
26,196 Posts
The sealcoat is a good sealer. All it is, is shellac which has had the wax content filtered out.

One thing I might add is if you use the rustoleum black paint be sure it's lacquer and not enamel. If you apply enamel and then put lacquer over it chances are the solvents in the lacquer will make the enamel wrinkle up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts