Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only just starting with woodworking with only experience in basic tools from school and a one day course, I also hope to construct this with not much more than a wood saw and a drill.
Sketch up is below of the basic frame design (no lid), the thing is 150mm wide x 250 mm long and 120mm high (similar in size to a shoebox). The plan was to arrange the wooden pieces as shown which are 20 x 30 mm and of varying lengths.

To attach everything the current plan is to place a dowel straight through each corner from top to bottom (shown in blue) and then place screws shown in red accordingly as to attach the planks horizontally and by having the screws penetrate the dowel the wooden frames will then be fixed vertically, There will be extra screws for the base that haven't been drawn in yet.

I am worried about whether in order for the dowel being big enough to support the screws it will be need too large a hole.

Also will this structure be feasible without any wood glue?

And what type of wood would be best, something easy to work with as I'm a beginner but also something that looks good, I am located in Sydney Australia and hope to be able to pick up what I'm looking for on this website http://www.anagote.com/pricelist.php if there's something that would be best on that list

Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Attachments

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
10 or 12 mm dowel should be fine. If your skills allow you could do the main box structure just with dowel only

Diagram Line Drawing Parallel Sketch

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
now you got me thinking

If you had a router you could assemble the hole thing including the base with just 4 dowels, no glue no screws or nails

1 - 3 of 3 Posts