Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe i missed an earlier thread, but the page has a new ad scheme that drops a huge ad onto me screen that drops all of the post tables down off the screen. is this just my pc/setup, or is anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
It's called monetizing. In order to run an online forum, the company has to make money to pay for it. The add seems to stay in place unless you inadvertently roll over it with your cursor. It's the new type of commercials with online activity, just like TV commercials, and it's likely to get worse. At least, you can scroll down the page past the ad. Eventually, you'll have to watch commercials before the content shows, like many Youtube vids.

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
What "page" are you writing about? Are you using a standard PC, IPhone, or what?

On my desktop PC I have no problems.

G

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The ad banner is just below the header on the page. Today, I'm getting an ad for Timberland work boots. If your cursor rolls over the ad, it opens up almost filling the screen. This has been something new over the last few weeks or month. I'm using Google Chrome on a newer Vaio PC. It may not show on older PCs. The ad doesn't open up on my smart phone.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's called monetizing. In order to run an online forum, the company has to make money to pay for it. The add seems to stay in place unless you inadvertently roll over it with your cursor. It's the new type of commercials with online activity, just like TV commercials, and it's likely to get worse. At least, you can scroll down the page past the ad. Eventually, you'll have to watch commercials before the content shows, like many Youtube vids.
Thanks, Hammer. i just need to control my mouse path better.

·
7,222 Posts
Thanks, Hammer. i just need to control my mouse path better.
I got annoyed with the behaviour of the ads opening up when my Windows 8 cursor would move over the ad. In my old XP computer the ads did not expand, so easier to ignore.

I am using Mozilla Firefox which has an Adblock plug-in. I was so fed up I had to install the ad blocker. Now no annoying ads.

Try looking for an ad blocker for your browser.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts