Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I threw a few white oak boards threw the planer and made a couple of Adirondack chairs for my sons new house. Seems I've built ones for most of my friends and family I'd give him a house warming gift.

Chair Furniture Wood Table Hardwood

I think I'll let him decide on stain and finish

·
where's my table saw?
32,257 Posts
very cool

Nice wide arms for beverages, laptops, the family cat... etc.

Reactions: guglipm63

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Burb said:
Very nice chairs. Did you design them? If not where did you get the design? I made some last year by taking an old one apart and then making a template from the pieces.

I took a picture of one I liked, grafted it, made a few templates and worked one up with some scraps. once I worked out the dimensions I liked I called it XM1 and turned my daughter loose painting it. I think these are # 16 & 17. I've used old deck wood, sassafras, cedar, and I think locust. these are the first of white oak. I've curved the backs too but I prefer the simplicity of just making them straight. they are fun to make

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Thanks for your explanation. I agree that they are fun to make. My first three I made I used inexpensive pine just to see if I liked them. I've got a source for local red cedar at $1 a BF for rough cut 4/4 boards. I plan on planing some down to 3/4 and making one this summer.

BTW my version has a slightly curved back, though its hard to tell from the pictures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.