Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I turned what could either be called a deep plate or a bowl depending upon which angle you view it from. It's about 11" diameter and 2" deep and I went thin wall with it without thinking about the fact that it's yellow poplar.

It looks nice, but feels like it belongs in an arts and crafts store for $1 as something for kids to paint, cover in glitter, and write "ЯonNy Agɘ 5" on the back b/c it's light, soft, and with your eyes closed you might mistake it for paper mache.

I don't have the necessary equipment to stabilize wood using vacuum pressure, although I hope to eventually. What are other options? I don't mind changing the color - I'm not a fan of yellow poplar anyways. I got the blank for practically nothing since it had warped while drying.

Edit 1: I found a tutorial by forum member BangleGuy that includes, from what I understand, soaking the wood in TurnTex Cactus Juice and then baking it as a stabilizing method. What I don't know is whether that would add strength and weight like I'd like.

Edit 2: Read the directions for Cactus Juice. It unfortunately requires a vacuum pump.

Edit 3: Interesting thread on penturners.org about stabilizing without vacuum pressure.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Disclaimer.....never turned a wooden pen in my life.Heck,a standard PU bed would hold just about the amt of "turning's" done here over the last 40 years(well,maybe a Dually,haha)....so just sayin,no expert turning commentary here.

Without a vacuum and/or pressure equipment.....on thin material....You can try heat and squeegee.In theory(and a looong boring dissertation of certain century's old practices),you heat the wood with hot air gun,squeegee on whatever it is you want soaked in(and ideally,this is heated as well).....and as the wood cools the product is drawn in.Hence the need for "thin" wood.as it's only going to go so deep.

After reading your 3rd link,I noticed that the heat trick was only casually noted.But thanks for the link,it was interesting.Good luck.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
So I turned what could either be called a deep plate or a bowl depending upon which angle you view it from. It's about 11" diameter and 2" deep and I went thin wall with it without thinking about the fact that it's yellow poplar.

It looks nice, but feels like it belongs in an arts and crafts store for $1 as something for kids to paint, cover in glitter, and write "ЯonNy Agɘ 5" on the back b/c it's light, soft, and with your eyes closed you might mistake it for paper mache.

I don't have the necessary equipment to stabilize wood using vacuum pressure, although I hope to eventually. What are other options? I don't mind changing the color - I'm not a fan of yellow poplar anyways. I got the blank for practically nothing since it had warped while drying.

Edit 1: I found a tutorial by forum member BangleGuy that includes, from what I understand, soaking the wood in TurnTex Cactus Juice and then baking it as a stabilizing method. What I don't know is whether that would add strength and weight like I'd like.

Edit 2: Read the directions for Cactus Juice. It unfortunately requires a vacuum pump.

Edit 3: Interesting thread on penturners.org about stabilizing without vacuum pressure.
Let the dog see the hare mate .

Take a photo and post it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.