Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
7,222 Posts
Any idea's on how to coat the inside of a bowl with an Acrylic coating about 1/4" thick? Thanks.
I typically see acryllic resin in sheet form.

A two part epoxy, e.g., Bar Top coating is normally used for the type of depth you want, but this is for flat surfaces.

I do not know how you would apply the epoxy so thick without it running. You can add tiny glass beads to thicken the epoxy, but it will still sag somewhat.

This is one potential source of acryllic resin. For others search on "liquid acryllic resin".

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/mold_making_materials/casting_products

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I use the 2 part epoxy for that, but geez-- not a quarter inch. I just mix up enough for part of the job and then brush it on--thinly, multiple coats.
Dave H

·
Registered
131 Posts
Could you put it on the lathe at a super-slow speed (I'm thinking 1rpm or less... don't even know if that's possible) so that as it sagged, down would always be shifting? You'd still have it thinner in the bottom, but the sides would be less of a problem.

Just thinking out loud,
Acer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.