Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would want to extend the table so that it is flush with the end of the front rail the fence clamps on. Additionally I would want provisions for a home built router table fence with integrated dust collection and a table pin for the table if not included. Some method that provides easy attachment of feather boards/holddowns, and ring guard on the table extension as well as the shop made fence. The fence itself is a topic all of its own. Consider placement of the saw as the feeds for the router and saw are 90 degrees to each other, at least that is how I would set it up.

Bet you will really enjoy this new saw/router table. What is it replacing? Kind of like Christmas when you were a kid, least that's how I would feel.

·
Registered
26,869 Posts
I realize it's 300 bucks more money but I would go with the G1023RLX. I don't have any experience with either saw but the RLX has a 53" cutting capacily.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
I have the luxury of being able to drive to a Grizzly showroom and
get my hands on. There's no doubt that is a nice saw. I looked hard at the model, but just for the saw, not with the router. I have a dedicated router table.
In my personal opinion, the table is just too small to be messing with a router and the saw. I think it'll lead to some frustration, with one having to either setup or tear down to use one or the other.
Like Steve said the other model has a longer cut capacity, and maybe if the router insert was located farther out it wouldn't pose much of a problem in my eyes.
I would love the extension myself and wanted it badly, I just don't have the room. I went with this model http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0690/images/1
I've had it for about 2-3 months now and couldn't be happier, very stable, accurate saw. This is my 3rd Grizzly machine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Very good saw at a very good price. It's got a threaded elevation screw and dovetail ways on the arbor carriage, dust shroud, and has an updated heavy duty serpentine belt drive system. The fence is a Shop Fox Classic, which is a good Biese clone. If that feature set suits your needs, it's a well proven and popular saw with an excellent track record.

A built in router table is an excellent space saver IMO if you're short on shop space, but it is a bit of a compromise compared to a stand alone. My shop is small, and all my RT's have been built into the saw. You will likely want a stand along router fence or a router fence attachment that mounts to the saw fence.

Because it's left tilt, the fence can be slid to the right for close to 10" more rip capacity, but you'll have to move the tape and fill in the gap between front and back rail.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I realize it's 300 bucks more money but I would go with the G1023RLX. I don't have any experience with either saw but the RLX has a 53" cutting capacily.
That's one that I want if I opt for a new TS. Plus I like knotscott's comments about the 1023 series.

Jon
Northern Michigan

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Old Skhool said:
What is it replacing? Kind of like Christmas when you were a kid, least that's how I would feel.
I do feel like a kid at Christmas!! Lol. Can't wait. But I'm waiting to have the 220 ran. Saw won't do much without that. I'm remodeling a house and a store front/shop at the same time and for some reason my wife thinks the house needs to be done first.
It's replacing a Ryobi portable table saw. So it's gonna be a huge upgrade for me and I can't wait.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Because it's left tilt, the fence can be slid to the right for close to 10" more rip capacity, but you'll have to move the tape and fill in the gap between front and back rail.
I too have nearly settled on getting the G1023RLW. But I've been curious about the rip capacity of the G1023. Even tho the G1023RLW has a 48" wide table, the rip-right capacity is listed as 25½", which is a several inches less than most other cabinets saws without extended rails. So just to confirm - you can really get nearly 35" rip capacity on the G1023RLW?? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I too have nearly settled on getting the G1023RLW. But I've been curious about the rip capacity of the G1023. Even tho the G1023RLW has a 48" wide table, the rip-right capacity is listed as 25½", which is a several inches less than most other cabinets saws without extended rails. So just to confirm - you can really get nearly 35" rip capacity on the G1023RLW?? Thanks.
The idea is that you don't need rip capacity on the left side of the blade, so you slide the front rail over more to the right....it can be done to nearly any left tilt saw that uses a Biese style fence if you're willing to fill the gap between the rails and relocate the tape. More here

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have that exact saw.

I love the saw, but if I was to do it again, I would not get the router table with it, I'm not impressed with the mounting and the dust collection on the router side

Love the saw!!!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Well, yeah I have that setup...and love it. I followed Knotscott's directions and extended my fence rails a few inches to give me 37 inch rip capacity. I don't have room for the wide rails, and frankly, I don't need them. If I need to break down sheet goods, I use a track saw.

I have used the router on many occasions, especially when I was building custom coolers, 13 of them. I kept a 3/8 roundover bit in a router ready to go at a moments notice. If I need to make a wide cut on the saw, I lower the router bit beneath the table and carry on.

I added the paddle ON/OFF switch from Rockler to control the router.

Enjoy.
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MT Stringer said:
Well, yeah I have that setup...and love it. I followed Knotscott's directions and extended my fence rails a few inches to give me 37 inch rip capacity. I don't have room for the wide rails, and frankly, I don't need them. If I need to break down sheet goods, I use a track saw. I have used the router on many occasions, especially when I was building custom coolers, 13 of them. I kept a 3/8 roundover bit in a router ready to go at a moments notice. If I need to make a wide cut on the saw, I lower the router bit beneath the table and carry on. I added the paddle ON/OFF switch from Rockler to control the router. Enjoy. Mike
Looks great!!!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I do feel like a kid at Christmas!! Lol. Can't wait. But I'm waiting to have the 220 ran.
Take pics once you get it so we can see it in all its glory.

MT - do you have any shots that show the whole saw with the mods you made? Extension wing looks good; nicely done.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This is all I hve at the moment. Space is limited in a one car garage. :-(
MT, With your router table legs, are you able to move the saw around with your D2057A base under it? I am looking at the G1023RLX which has a wider table than yours, but I am trying to decide if I really need the extension base for it. Thoughts?

I had seen a mobile base for the Saw Stop Industrial Cabinet saw and really liked it. It had a hydraulic jack built into it that raised the saw off the floor to move it. For the wider table, that same base lifted the complete saw and extra legs straight up for moving. But that base is like $300. Ouch!

Thanks,

Jon
Northern Michigan

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
MT, With your router table legs, are you able to move the saw around with your D2057A base under it? I am looking at the G1023RLX which has a wider table than yours, but I am trying to decide if I really need the extension base for it. Thoughts?

I had seen a mobile base for the Saw Stop Industrial Cabinet saw and really liked it. It had a hydraulic jack built into it that raised the saw off the floor to move it. For the wider table, that same base lifted the complete saw and extra legs straight up for moving. But that base is like $300. Ouch!

Thanks,

Jon
Northern Michigan
The feet on the legs are adjustable so I can move the saw. But it is basically in the same spot as it was set up over a year ago. I can move it if I need to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts