Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I take a square block and turn it into a round block with a lathe?

If so, what tools do I use to keep it a precisely sized circle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yup, that's pretty much all they do(lathes). They turn not-round stuff into round stuff. If you're looking for a specific diameter, depending on your tolerances, you could use any number of different calipers. If your tolerances are very tight, get something with a digital readout that is known for precision. You can find this stuff just about anywhere that sells tools. For more(better) information, direct this question at the turners forum; they're a veritable encyclopedia.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
icor1031 said:
Can I take a square block and turn it into a round block with a lathe? If so, what tools do I use to keep it a precisely sized circle? Thanks!
Depending on which way you mount the block you may need a bowl gouge. If the grain of the wood is running with the bed of the lathe use a spindle gouge. If not use a bowl gouge.
Tom

·
7,222 Posts
Are you thinking about a wood lathe or a metal lathe?

A wood lathe normally uses tools which are held by hand. The person turns the wood and checks the size/diameter. It takes skill to get the diameter consistent.

A metal lathe normally uses a small cutting tip which is held in a post or block. There are threaded rods to move the post/block in the directions parallel or at right angles to the lathe bed. In this case the item would be turned to diameter by adjusting the right angle direction, then moving in the parallel direction.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Good point, Dave! It never occurred to me that the OP may be looking at a metal lathe whilst pondering his questions. If that is the case, I retract my statement, as I know NOTHING about metal lathes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you thinking about a wood lathe or a metal lathe?

A wood lathe normally uses tools which are held by hand. The person turns the wood and checks the size/diameter. It takes skill to get the diameter consistent.

A metal lathe normally uses a small cutting tip which is held in a post or block. There are threaded rods to move the post/block in the directions parallel or at right angles to the lathe bed. In this case the item would be turned to diameter by adjusting the right angle direction, then moving in the parallel direction.

I want to work on wood, but I do *not* want to do it by hand. I have a tight tolerance to keep.

·
7,222 Posts
Still not sure of how tight of tolerances your going to keep with wood. Wood moves. :smile:
Yes but wood moves only with changes in humidity. Just a minute, this is every day....... :icon_smile:

So what tolerances are you looking to maintain?

It is possible wood may not be the material you need for your project.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes but wood moves only with changes in humidity. Just a minute, this is every day....... :icon_smile:

So what tolerances are you looking to maintain?

It is possible wood may not be the material you need for your project.

It needs to fit in a 3" tube, and not move vertically (if the pipe is standing) in the tube after being glued.
So, it's not 'very' fine. But, it's more than I expect to get by hand.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Contact your local woodturning club. One of the members would probably turn this for you. And it would be cheaper than buying and learning on a lathe. If you don't have a local club, contact me at [email protected] and we can discuss the details.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts