Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a listing for a local auction. Apparently, this guy had ZILLIONS of hand planes.

:eek:

I don't have any planes and I thought this might be a good way to get started. I am not looking for collectibles but usable tools.

I don't know much about planes. Can someone recommend a couple of good starters from this extensive list?

Here is the listing for the auction:

http://www.gavinbros.com/PageManager/Default.aspx/PageID=2189239&NF=1

The complete listing of planes (and other tools) is toward the bottom.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Here's my frequent use list, more or less in order:

1) Stanley #3. A four would be fine, too, but I'm liking the smaller size more than I expected. On the other hand, I don't make big furniture.
2) Stanley #5. I use this on everything. It may actually see more use than the #3.
4) Stanley #78. I end up cutting a rabbet on a lot of my projects.
5) A try plane -- Mine is a transitional (wood sole, metal adjusters), but a Stanley #7 or #8 would be good.

I have a combination plane, and while I'd rather have a dedicated plow, it works pretty well. I'd love to have some simple wooden molding planes.

I hope this helps!

·
7,222 Posts
Wow, what a collection.

This will bring in the collectors like moths to an open flame. This could mean higher prices.

If I were within driving distance I would have to go to see how much these go for.

I would not expect any super deals.

Some folks like a No. 3, I think I prefer the No. 4. Same length slightly wider blade.

The No. 5 is always useful.

I prefer the No. 6 to a No. 7, same blade width but the No. 6 is not as long to not as heavy.

I would also look at block planes, like 62 low angle block plane.

I think the 71 router plane is useful.

Also a 78 rabbit plane.

The list can go on, if you have the funds. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
WOW- I am glad it is in Wi. way to far to go. There are some planes there that will go for a bunch.
I agree with above. I have a couple 3's a 5, scrub and a couple 7's. To add I also have a low angle LN block and a large LN shoulder plane. Wish I had a small shoulder also. I do a lot of M&T work.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
mike1950 said:
WOW- I am glad it is in Wi. way to far to go. There are some planes there that will go for a bunch. I agree with above. I have a couple 3's a 5, scrub and a couple 7's. To add I also have a low angle LN block and a large LN shoulder plane. Wish I had a small shoulder also. I do a lot of M&T work.
Wisconsin!!!!! That's out my back door. Not really though. Well.....kinda Lol That Would take me about 2 1/2 hours one way. Just don't have the time to run out there.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
A lot depends on what you want to do with them.....

My list is similar to Andy's, but varies a little because of what/how I do things. Everyone's list will be that way.

For starters I'd get a Jack plane (SB#5 other numbers for other manufacturers). They will be about 15" long if you are looking at others than a SB.

I also think a low angle block plane is a very useful tool regardless of the type of woodworking you do. A SB #601/2 or #65.

If you are doing any work with rough cut lumber and need to join/smooth/thickness any of it I'd also go for a SB#6 (fore plane) and #7 (jointer) as well as a smoother #3 or #4.

I love my shoulder plane and would recommend one if you are doing a lot of hand cut joinery.

I agree with the rec'd of a #78 rabbet plane (I don't have one yet).

I'd also love to have a dedicated plow (Miller's Patent plow planes #41-44).

If you haven't already, take a look through this page to read more about SB planes.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
crap.....thats right down the highway from me......oh what to do....what to do.......

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
That's a hell of a collection. I agree, the collectors will be there in droves. Rightfully so. A lot of good planes there. Asking what to get though is a loaded question. It depends on what you want to do with hand tools. Rough work? Smoothing? Jointing? As said, the general starter kit is a smoother (3, 4, 4 1/2) jack (5, 5 1/2, 6) and a jointer (7, 8). All important block plane is a must too. After that you will start to specialize depending on your work I think.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Like others say, I'm glad it's in WI. I would definitely look for a #4 bench plane and a good block plane a #118 or 9 1/2, just two of my favorites. With so many you should have a lot of good choices. A 60 1/2 low angle and a # 92 rabbet is nice to have. As far as block planes see what feels good in your hand. As mentioned at an auction you won't get the bargains like yard or garage sales.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily say you can't get good deals at auctions. I find it depends a lot upon how it is advertised and when it is. I think this one would probably draw in collectors since they list the planes - and auctions at an auction house typically bring high prices. I've had the best luck at estate sale auctions. I picked up a nice Stanley 4 and 5 for $2 once and I've seen other planes go for similar low prices. Really depends on who shows up though.

I just happened to notice there is a similar sale in central PA today when I was searching Craigslist this morning. Don't think there will be deals but lots of selection - wish I wasn't working.. There is a listing at www.finetoolj.com.

·
7,222 Posts
talk about eye candy yowzzaaa!!
Finally someone has more planes than you Don. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

This fellow had to be collecting for a long time. It is nice to see this impressive collection.

Sad to consider that the person may have passed or just be at the point in his life where he needs to sell this off. I am not looking forward to this situation, but we all have to face this at some point.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts