Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't posted any projects in a while, been busy at work and not much time on the weekends.

I got home from work early today and figured I would start on a tribute sign for my neighbor.

He was the president of our association. He's been president for at least 25 years. He recently gave up his position. Super great guy!!!!

I was commissioned to do a sign for our local beach/park, as a tribute to him

The piece is walnut book matched and jointed together.
Stay tuned for more. Might not be until after 4th of July.
Thanks for looking.

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wow!!!! Not much interest. Laughing!!!!!
Well I had a change of plans.
I stared at that piece and decided I didn't like it so much.

I was up in door county wis. for the holiday and ran into a garage sale this man was having.
He was selling off a crap load of lumber. Mostly slabs.

Jack pot!!!!! His barn was stuffed to the gills.
Unfortunately I didn't have much room in my truck, so I was limited on space. I did manage to stuff a couple pieces in there.

I got a cherry slab 5/4 x 5' x 10"
2 slabs of curly or tiger maple. He said it was tiger maple? But I think they are the same?
Also a nice piece of butternut.
Don't have pics of those yet, but will post soon.

As far as the cherry goes, I decided to use that for the sign.
Here is some pics of it started.
Not to complicated, but I think it will be nice.
Thanks for looking.

Carving Wood Table Furniture Stone carving

Wood Table Carving Font Plywood

Table Wood Furniture Wood stain Floor

Wood Table Table shuffleboard Furniture Lumber

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm liking it Dom.

Is it all going to be hand carved?

I can see the handles of your mallets standing at the ready in the background ;)

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes tim it's gonna be hand carved.
Haven't carved much cherry though. Lol
And yes the mallets are in reach. I have a couple that Dave Paine made, and one from bond.
It's nice because they all have different weight to them.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave Paine said:
Nice piece of wood Dominick. Looking forward to the progress pictures. This will be a really nice tribute. :thumbsup:
Thanks Dave.
And your small mallet you made me feels good!!!!
Thanks again. That will be my primary mallet for this.
Also forgot, the guy I got the wood from, his name is Harvey also.
So the piece I got is meant to be.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
*Technically late, yet early enough to score a front row seat, Chaincarver Steve sneaks in unnoticed* :whistling2: ...

I'm watching. Carry on.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
NICE chunk of wood- as he sneaks in the back of the room!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Dominick

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,569 Posts
I'm still sitting on the sidelines watching and waiting for some real progress. I don't want to make too many comments until I see where you are going with this one. You have a habit of starting a project, and just when I think that I have my head wrapped around it, you throw in a wonderful curve ball that comes from nowhere and you blow my mind. So, to prevent a blown mind (again), I will calmly sit back and watch.
:yes:

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kenbo said:
I'm still sitting on the sidelines watching and waiting for some real progress. I don't want to make too many comments until I see where you are going with this one. You have a habit of starting a project, and just when I think that I have my head wrapped around it, you throw in a wonderful curve ball that comes from nowhere and you blow my mind. So, to prevent a blown mind (again), I will calmly sit back and watch.
:yes:
Laughing!!!!!!
I learn from the best!!!

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Dominick...I'm just guessing you would accept opinions. Now, I don't want to hurt your feelings, but, I think you could get more creative with the letter style. Personally, I don't like it. The cross connectors on the H, A, and R, are too high, and make the letters looked pinched up.

Iffin I was doing the lettering, I would probably choose a more traditional style...like Old English for example, or maybe a script. If you like block letters more, check out some choices. You could print a usable size off the internet, and use it for tracing.

Yeah, I know...Old English would be a lot more work. But hey...a tribute is a tribute.:yes:

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Some one gave me heads up on a worthwhile thread to follow so here I am. Haven't seen you round for a bit, looking forward to watching this develop.

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
I'm watching too, there Dom. That's a nice slab you're carving on. So whatcha doing with the glue-up now then?

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cabinetman said:
Dominick...I'm just guessing you would accept opinions. Now, I don't want to hurt your feelings, but, I think you could get more creative with the letter style. Personally, I don't like it. The cross connectors on the H, A, and R, are too high, and make the letters looked pinched up.

Iffin I was doing the lettering, I would probably choose a more traditional style...like Old English for example, or maybe a script. If you like block letters more, check out some choices. You could print a usable size off the internet, and use it for tracing.

Yeah, I know...Old English would be a lot more work. But hey...a tribute is a tribute.:yes:

No feelings hurt here cabby.
Your untitled to an opinion. I'm totally aware on the design, because I drew it up that way. Lol
If I were to go your way, it would look like everyone else's right?
Yes simple but it's not done, so don't judge a book by its cover. No CNC here.
Grab some popcorn and a good seat!!!! There's more to come.
Thanks for the critique.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gideon said:
how did you do the end grain join in the first photo? spline?
I jointed on the jointer and used a couple of biscuits. Yea I said I'd. Lol.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rayking49 said:
I'm watching too, there Dom. That's a nice slab you're carving on. So whatcha doing with the glue-up now then?
Not sure ray.
Thanks for the kind words.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts