Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Very nice. Nice finish to use, huh? How many coats did you apply? I usually use 4-5.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Very nicely done Dick. You sure make some nice pens. I have just got into pens and I'm loving it. So far the wife has latched onto just about all I have made. :smile:

·
Registered
53 Posts
very nice pens :yes: you do extremely nice work :thumbsup:
i was wondering which pen mandrel you use for your work

Thanks
Harry

·
Registered
53 Posts
Whaler
thanks for the link
im still kinda new at turning pens ( maybe about 20 pens or so ) i use a mandrel from CSUSA, and just got the pen mandrel saver from PSI, dont care for that one, good for 1 barrel pens but when turning 2 barrels on the mandrel the barrel closest to the head drive slips alot! no matter how tight you have it. I like having both barrels on the mandrel so i can get them even to one another. I turn mostly slimline pens for now( wood and arcylic ) i just might have to look into your system, between centers.
Thanks again for the link and really enjoy seeing your work :yes:

HARRY

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Longbeard stated
and just got the pen mandrel saver from PSI, dont care for that one, good for 1 barrel pens but when turning 2 barrels on the mandrel the barrel closest to the head drive slips alot! no matter how tight you have it.
I too use the pen saver mandrel and occasionally a blank slips. For me this either means I need to tighten it a bit more. 1/8 turn of the handwheel usually does the trick. Or that my tool is too low or dull. If I raise the tool rest, make sure tool is sharp and snug up an extra slight turn, then no problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts