Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Looks to me like blank was glued up with different species radially, (pie-shaped)?
Curved design looks like 3 pieces done on moulder with dark middle piece molded 2 sides and sandwiched in?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bzguy, yes it is a typical segmented bowl, but I did not use a molder to cut the design. Rayking, thanks for the compliment!

Unfortunately, I was dumb and did not take photos of the cutting of the grooves, but I just mocked up what I did and took a photo.

I have a small CNC machine and brainstormed how I could use it on a segmented bowl. This is my first prototype.

I cut the segments as normal, and then mounted them in the hand screw clamp that is clamped to the table. There is also a stop clamped to one of the jaws. This allowed me to unscrew one clamp to quickly run the router through each segment.

I cut the design about 3/4 of the depth of the segment.

Then I filled the slot with tinted epoxy. I taped the ends to prevent the epoxy from leaking out.

After the epoxy cured, I had to clean up the ends of the segments a little and then glued them up as normal. Once I turned through the 1/4 of the segment on the inside, the design appeared on the inside of the bowl.

It turned out pretty good. As you can see in the first photo, I messed up the alignment a bit. I think that was just sloppiness on my part. I am not super happy with how the slot turned out. I used a Sine Wave generator in sketchup to draw the curve. I have some ideas for other patterns, but if you guys have some ideas, let me know!

I think I might try one without tinting the epoxy, so it would be clear. That might be cool.

Hopefully my explanation makes sense with the photo!
Thanks for looking!
Justin

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
11 No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

But if there was yours would be close:thumbsup:. Looks good. If you don't mind some critique then try aiming for a narrower bottom, 1:3 of the overall diameter is the general rule.

Keep up the good work:yes:

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Very cool looking!
Thought the epoxy was Walnut or some dark wood.
The curve design looks a lot like part of a molder knife profile, symmetrical/reversable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nate,

I don't mind critique at all! Bring it on. So you are saying if I have a bowl 9" in diameter, then 3" is a good diameter for the base? This is my third segmented bowl, so I am just getting started. Unfortunately, in a month I am off to Korea for a year with the US Army, and my lathe is staying home, so I won't be able to turn for a while.

Bzguy,

You are right, it does look it could have come off of moulding knives.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts