Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have built a closet that is 6' by2' for hanging clothes. it has 6 steel wheel that ride on an oak track. i would like to make it more easly moved. by installing a motor or springs of some sort. i think once it is loaded with clothes it is going to be hard to move. any ideas
thanks

Attachments

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
That's pretty cool. I would probably clutter up the area over the tracks too often though and it would be inconvenient for me to use.

I can't see that it will be very heavy being no wider than it is. Can't fit that many clothes in there. If it is hard to move only thing I can think of is to use larger diameter wheels. You can do it without adding height by recessing them up through the bottom of the closet and building a false bottom over them.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Larger diameter wheels will not help in this situation. If you were going over rough terrain then yes but a smooth level track does not offer any resistance doesn't need larger wheels.

After looking at the pictures my first thought was a screw type garage door opener. If you have the room then you could mount the motor in the back and attach the part that runs up and down the screw to the closet. Not sure how to hook up the detent switches but you would even have a remote control for it.

You might even be able to find a used unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

ya it dosnt look very wide but its acualy 6 feet so i think by the time its full it will be pretty heavy. i would like to do something that makes it automatic. i here ya on keeping the floor clean but it is right at the end of our bed and is kind of a walk way so it stays fairly clean. theres alos a cold air return behind it so we cant put any furniture there anyway.
thanks for the help though

·
Senior Member from MN
219 Posts
Might be too late or impractical, but how about dispersing some of the load onto overhead rails? The closet would ride on the overhead rails through wheels, bearings or some other low friction slide.

As to the motor, you may have to consider safety issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
pretty cool setup. regarding a way to power it in and out, how about a simple rack and pinion powered by a soft start motor. i'm sure that you could find all the parts you would need including the right motor or motor/gearbox combo, and some inexpensive limit switches in the McMaster Carr catalog/website.

good luck

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
move in

Libraries sometimes use moving shelf units for book storage and these would take tremendous weight. have a look in google at library furniture suppliers.
johnep

·
Registered
419 Posts
The garage door opener idea has merit. The travel limit switches are easily adjusted and the newer units with the screw drive are very quiet. I have one in my shop that functions as an elevator allowing my wife to store items in the loft over my equipment. I have a rope connected to the bracket that accepts the door lift arm and moves back and forth on the track. The rope then goes over a pulley and is attached to the elevator which is fabricated from 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe with a plywood platform. It works pretty well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The garage door opener idea has merit. I have one in my shop that functions as an elevator allowing my wife to store items in the loft over my equipment. I have a rope connected to the bracket that accepts the door lift arm and moves back and forth on the track. The rope then goes over a pulley and is attached to the elevator which is fabricated from 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe with a plywood platform. It works pretty well.
PICTURES!!??

·
Registered
419 Posts
I should have figured that was coming. Will snap some pictures this weekend to post.

Ed

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think anyone that is "in to" woodworking and any other kind of building things are strongly visual people.

:eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts