1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my shed......

This is my maibox......

image.jpg

Yep....the mailbox has a standing seam metal roof.....

....and it's made from a roll of flashing ......

Sorry ...I'm having some kind of a glitch using attachments.....:furious:
I"ll be back later with a build thread of the standing seam metal roof......on the mailbox....

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
Nice

Cool mail box. Mail boxes are one of the most creative projects/subjects ever.
Back in the previous century, houses need to have a fire insurance number posted. I believe it was to identify the house if it caught fire and prove it was insured.
Now we have reflective address numbers so the fire departments and emergency folks can find our houses. These may have turned into the addresses we now use for mail boxes ...I donno? The fire brigades were paid by the insurance companies in some cases, others were volunteers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_insurance_marks#American_fire_marksAmerican fire marks

"Fire Insurance has over 200 years of history in America. The early fire marks of Benjamin Franklin's time can still be seen on some Philadelphia buildings as well as in other older American cities. Subscribers paid fire fighting companies in advance for fire protection and in exchange would receive a fire mark to attach to their building. The payments for the fire marks supported the fire fighting companies. Volunteer fire departments were also common in the United States, and some fire insurers contributed money to these departments and awarded bonuses to the first fire engine arriving at the scene of a fire.[3]"

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool mail box. Mail boxes are one of the most creative projects/subjects ever.
Back in the previous century, houses need to have a fire insurance number posted. I believe it was to identify the house if it caught fire and prove it was insured.
Now we have reflective address numbers so the fire departments and emergency folks can find our houses. These may have turned into the addresses we now use for mail boxes ...I donno? The fire brigades were paid by the insurance companies in some cases, others were volunteers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_insurance_marks#American_fire_marksAmerican fire marks

"Fire Insurance has over 200 years of history in America. The early fire marks of Benjamin Franklin's time can still be seen on some Philadelphia buildings as well as in other older American cities. Subscribers paid fire fighting companies in advance for fire protection and in exchange would receive a fire mark to attach to their building. The payments for the fire marks supported the fire fighting companies. Volunteer fire departments were also common in the United States, and some fire insurers contributed money to these departments and awarded bonuses to the first fire engine arriving at the scene of a fire.[3]"
Very interesting history lesson about mailboxes......who knew????

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
I'm not sure of their evolution from the fire marks

I don't know the history of addresses, and whether they came about from fire marks or just evolved from lack of a better system.
I researched fire marks in college, so that's how I came to be aware of them.

Here's the history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_numbering

Question: Why does your shed need it's own mailbox.... is that when you are "In the Doghouse" and have no outside connection....you got Wi Fi in there? :laughing: Mother-in-law quarters?

I apologize for the detour. I've seen your build thread on the roof, nice.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Way cool mail box. I saw some of the other pics in the other thread. I noticed you had on a thick coat and gloves building it. It must still be cold where you are. Only 13 degrees right now with snow all over the ground and it just started snowing again today. It is nice to see a dedicated woodworker. : )

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Tom:

Now that is some great workmanship and detail. Like a fine dollhouse only for the US Mail. Excellent scale and use of materials.

Tie it down good, that thing could be very inviting.

GREAT WORK:thumbsup:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Nice work. Well done. But I notice the roof of the product is 90 degrees off the model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts