Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Agree on that angle and wood thickness, the leg strength is a non issue.
If there is a concern, you could always drill and screw in 4" screws from the bottom up, across grain in each leg.
The no slip to me is important, and a nice touch. It looks recessed in the top.
I'm not old and shaky by any means, but I've watched some who would do the slip fall if that wasn't in place.

Nice look, nice design, very usable.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
mdntrdr said:
Cool design! :thumbsup:

The legs would be much stronger with the grain running vertically.
With the shortness of the legs and thickness of the wood, wood grain would not be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Splinter Picker
859 Posts
mdntrdr said:
Cool design! :thumbsup:

The legs would be much stronger with the grain running vertically.
I disagree. If the grain ran vertically the force of the load would want to split the legs at the apex of the v-notch where the bolts are.

Nice stool.

Jeff

·
Splinter Picker
859 Posts
mdntrdr said:
I see what you're getting at.

Looking at the photo it seems that this step has seen some use and held up just fine for its intended purpose.

Having said that I think that if a great enough amount of weight was put on it it would probably fail regardless of the grain orientation.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Regards

Jeff

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
That's a cool little step stool. I like how you inset the traction material (or is it on the surface?). Nice coloring too.

No comment on the leg grain orientation :shifty:

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
jharris said:
. . . I think that if a great enough amount of weight was put on it it would probably fail regardless of the grain orientation. . .
Yea, maybe a 600 lb man.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
The traction material is not inset, it's just play sand "glued" on with the spar poly finish....
Oh, ok. Cool. I thought, too, that it may have been made of the sandpaper-like grip/tread tape. It's hard to tell from the picture. It's looks great and you made the tread yourself. Awesome!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts