Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
This Space For Rent
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This little piece was going to be NE piece with bark but the bark completely fell off. No surprise the tree had been down for a year. I keep turning without the bark and just can't get a decent cut on the sapwood. I went ahead and turned it most of the way down then cut away the sapwood with various tools and came up with this.

smcherry.jpg

smcherry2.jpg

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
ooooh, nice. Very organic or natural looking

I don't know if you find this to be true or not but I think hollowing out the inside of a piece like this is where all the work and anxiety is.

I've been turning segmented urns, by gluing up a coopered tubes there is no hollowing out to do. The downside is that, in contrast to your "organic" look, I end up with a fairly manufactured look.

I just finished this urn. It's made with "Yellowood". I just couldn't get it to show up in the photo but that cylinder is pastel Yellow.

Just a small percentage of my shop time is spent with the lathe. For me it's like a little mini-vacation without leaving the shop.

Bret

Attachments

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I like it. I think it looks like pottery that didn't get finished on the pottery wheel. Which if it were pottery might look amateurish, but out of wood makes it unique and beautiful in shape. I also like your use of the sapwood as a rim. It looks great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts