Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Well school ended yesterday and man was I bored! So I decided I was going to make something. Earlier this year in shop a kid made a beautiful cherry jewlery box with 2 levels. It was beautiful. However I think he could have taken it alot further and made it breathtaking. So I'm going to. Here's the dimensions. It will be 11" wide by 6" high. The first level will be 4" deep and the second level will be 3" deep now for the fun part. I'm going to highlight the whole box with walnut trim. And underneath the step will be hollow. Using a system of locks and slides I'm going to make a secrete compartment for under the steps. I really think it will be cool. One thought is. Don't glue the back in. Run the dado up to the top but underneath lock it in with wood so it's solid then lock that wood in. Then she will be Abel to unlock the bottom. And take it off. She will then be Abel to slide the top of the step off opening the secrete compartment. Another one. Is to make a hinge type system so the back will
Lay back. Have a piece of wood still hiding the compartment that with a lock will be Abel to slide out of the dado opening the compartment. Let me know what you think. I'm sorry if this is confusing. Just follow the thread and it will all make sense! If you have any ideas let me know! Thanks!

·
where's my table saw?
28,751 Posts
I don't quite get it

But here's a tip on what I do see. When you make a rabbet for the bottom make it just a smidge longer than your bottom thickness. They look a bit short. You can always remove the extra by hand planing or sanding...you can't add material on if it's too short. It will look a 1000 times better.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
woodnthings said:
But here's a tip on what I do see. When you make a rabbet for the bottom make it just a smidge longer than your bottom thickness. They look a bit short. You can always remove the extra by hand planing or sanding...you can't add material on if it's too short. It will look a 1000 times better.
That sounds right now, the box wasn't perfectly squared when I took the picture. I also cut the rabbets with a table saw blade. No dado saw available. Might go back and cut them a tad bigger. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Thanks! It's 3/4 thick is that too much?
Not necessarily, it will be very strong. If that's what you have, then by all means, you should use it.

I made one recently and it was 1/2" thick. But it took me a while to hand plane from 3/4" to 1/2".

·
where's my table saw?
28,751 Posts
Yes, 3/4" is too thick, in my opinion

Thanks! It's 3/4 thick is that too much?
I make mine not more than 1/2" and usually 3/8" or just a tad less.
However, since you have started on this let it go as is. It will be heavy and you certainly don't need 3/4" for strength in that size.
Thinner panels and section are more "refined" looking and suit the purpose better.

Here's a link to one I built to show you the thickness details:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/keepsake-box-step-step-13808/#post107389

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sanchez said:
Not necessarily, it will be very strong. If that's what you have, then by all means, you should use it.

I made one recently and it was 1/2" thick. But it took me a while to hand plane from 3/4" to 1/2".
Ok. Well luckily I have my new to me ryobi planer. Should I take it down?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
woodnthings said:
I make mine not more than 1/2" and usually 3/8" or just a tad less.
However, since you have started on this let it go as is. It will be heavy and you certainly don't need 3/4" for strength in that size.
Thinner panels and section are more "refined" looking and suit the purpose better.

Here's link top one I built to show you the thickness details:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/keepsake-box-step-step-13808/#post107389
I think I understand what your saying just thinking about it in my head. Should I take it down some? I have that ryobi planer like I said above.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a question for both of you. When I make my rabbets I have been using my table saw and taking off just a hair each time. I have a router with the needed bit. Should I use the router insted?

·
where's my table saw?
28,751 Posts
If you like a challenge, yes

You can try it IF you think you can reduce the thickness without tear out. Once you start you have to keep going on each piece so they will match up. Your choice in the end, but I would personally.
It will be a lasting momento, so you may as well do the very best you can.

We're here if you need more help! :yes:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
woodnthings said:
You can try it IF you think you can reduce the thickness without tear out. Once you start you have to keep going on each piece so they will match up. Your choice in the end, but I would personally.
It will be a lasting moment, may as well do the very best you can.

Very true. I think ill give it a whirl. Worst thing happens I start over. Your right. It's gunna be a lasting gift so I think I'm gunna try.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
woodnthings said:
It will be a lasting moment, may as well do the very best you can.

And thank you! I appreciate it! You guys are the best!

·
where's my table saw?
28,751 Posts
either way is fine

Here's a question for both of you. When I make my rabbets I have been using my table saw and taking off just a hair each time. I have a router with the needed bit. Should I use the router insted?
A 2 cut rabbet on the table saw is how many of us make them.
A dado set is another method.
A router bit on a table is another. It all depends on what you have for tools OR what is set up on the tools you have.

I guess the method with the least amount of setup time is the 2 cut on the table saw.

A have a table saw with a "permanent" dado set and a sacrificial fence and that would be what I would use. My splitters are a pain in the collection to align so I don't want to remove them to make the 2 cut rabbet on the TS. A router table would be quick and easy.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
woodnthings said:
A 2 cut rabbet on the table saw is how many of us make them.
A dado set is another method.
A router bit on a table is another. It all depends on what you have for tools OR what is set up on the tools you have.

I guess the method with the least amount of setup time is the 2 cut on the table saw.

A have a table saw with a "permanent" dado set and a sacrificial fence and that would be what I would use. My splitters are a pain in the collection to align so I don't want to remove them to make the 2 cut rabbet on the TS. A router table would be quick and easy.
What do you meen by a 2 cut. I'm doing like a 12 cut lol might try the router. I think that would work. Maybe set it up in saw horses clamp it. Then clamp the sacrificial fence on the wood to hold the router and guide it. That's how we did great big pieces that we weren't going the whole way through the piece.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts