Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 17 in high school.. This is my woodshop. Outfitted with powermatic lathe, wide beltsander and a jointer. Saw stop tabel saw and dado saw. Oscillating belt sander. CNC lathe an CNC router. Enjoy and any questions you have don't be afraid to ask!! ( in the shop... 2 tabel saws 3 miter saws 1 dado saw 1 CNC lathe 1 CNC router 1 powermatic lathe 2 jointers 1 wide belt sander 1 kreg machine 1 radial arm saw. 1 oscillating belt sander. 3 shapers 1 "3 in one" shaper 2 band saws and many more!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I'm glad you are proud of your shop and can hopefully take advantage of the educational opportunities it represents. I'm a retired instructor and had a similarly equipped shop. The shop was always open after school for anyone that wanted to use it as long as I could be there to supervise. Rarely did a student take me up on it. Teenagers have other things on their minds. Does your school participate in Skills USA?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I am very proud. Our school offers night classes for adults. And yes we do participate in skills USA

·
Registered
902 Posts
That's a lot of tools. You should be proud. Goodluck in your journey and in sharing knowledge with your students. You don't have band saw, do you?

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Man, there's nicer machinery in there than was in my old high school shop. That was my favorite place to be though. Right there in shop class. I hope you get a lot out of your time there. And I hope to continue seeing you around here. Woodworking can be a very fulfilling hobby. And the pieces you make will be around for many years for you and others to use and enjoy.

Thanks for showing us the shop. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gus1962 said:
That's a lot of tools. You should be proud. Goodluck in your journey and in sharing knowledge with your students. You don't have band saw, do you?
Thanks Gus. But I am a student.. I'm 17.. And yes we have 2 bandsaws

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chaincarver Steve said:
Man, there's nicer machinery in there than was in my old high school shop. That was my favorite place to be though. Right there in shop class. I hope you get a lot out of your time there. And I hope to continue seeing you around here. Woodworking can be a very fulfilling hobby. And the pieces you make will be around for many years for you and others to use and enjoy.

Thanks for showing us the shop. :thumbsup:
No place better... I loose track of time and just goZ I love it. It is by far my most favorite thing in th world...

·
I <3 the smell of sawdust
327 Posts
Saw Stop saws for high school kids. That's fantastic! They are guaranteed to leave shop class with all their fingers attached (assuming they don't chop one off on something else).

That's a pretty amazing shop. Lots to be proud of. Someone else in here made a stunning roll top desk in shop class recently. I don't recall if it was HS or college.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya it's nice to have the saw stops only set it off once this year. ( another kid didnt put the guard back right it caught the guard and dropped!) had one kid damn near take his thumb off on a bandsaw reaching for a cutoff peice that got stuck in the throat ( he's not very bright.)

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
No place better... I loose track of time and just goZ I love it. It is by far my most favorite thing in th world...
We need many more younger people, like yourself, who has that love and passion to create. I don't know of many woodworkers or woodcarvers who are my age or younger (I'm soon to turn 40). This hobby has a desperate vacuum for young blood. As long as that blood stays inside their bodies.

So I have a passion for encouraging newcomers of all ages to get involved in the wood hobbies. Welcome again to the forum.

wow... a high school shop with a cnc router?
That impressed me too. I'm not sure exactly how I feel CNC should be considered in relation to "real", hands-on woodworking. But I know it has its place.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chaincarver Steve said:
We need many more younger people, like yourself, who has that love and passion to create. I don't know of many woodworkers or woodcarvers who are my age or younger (I'm soon to turn 40). This hobby has a desperate vacuum for young blood. As long as that blood stays inside their bodies.

So I have a passion for encouraging newcomers of all ages to get involved in the wood hobbies. Welcome again to the forum.

That impressed me too. I'm not sure exactly how I feel CNC should be considered in relation to "real", hands-on woodworking. But I know it has its place.
Thank you! I love it... And it is a dying skill.. However my hope is when I'm ready to enter the workforce that the housing market will be back on top... These days people don't want crappy ply wood cabinets... They want good solid wood stuff to furnish the homes... And that excites me. I am a collected of antiques ( antique wood planes are my specialty) and I can see the people want these old things.. Well I can do alot with a board to make it look old ( rub through stain, artificially distressing, worm holes) etc. so I think I could be a great asset to a construction team... Make the kitchens for them.. Do them well. And as an independent woodworker... What do you think??

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chaincarver Steve said:

Also in response to the CNC router. In the vo tech we have a building construction program. Each year they Build a house... We do all the cabinets for the entire house... So the CNC router comes in handy to make the sides of all the cabinets..

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In my class there are say 10-15 kids one main instructor one assistant instructor. However at any point I could ask him anything and he could help me at any point

·
Registered
39 Posts
Holy cow I could have some fun with that cnc router. In my worship I think the newest piece of equipment was 20 years old. Glad to see you are proud of it! I look forward to seeing what you build out if there.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Nice shop and layout of equipment. You are fortunate to have it available. I noticed that the table saws didn't have an outfeed table.

I didn't take wood shop when I was in high school. I took mechanical drawing and drafting instead. Who woulda thunk. In theory, wood shop was meant to be a preparatory of sorts for learning the trade. Back in my high school days there were no CNC's. Heck, there was barely electricity.

But in those days there were many more opportunities for employment than there are today. There were no real production shops, as the apartment, hotel, and condo markets were basically at their infancy. There were the small custom shops and larger more production based type shops with line work. You had one or two stations where you performed certain functions, versus the custom shop where an individual may have to be a start to finish craftsman.

I'm pleased to see that some schools still provide the foundation for the craft. I expect that the excitement our youth would demonstrate for that line of education would be shadowed by the techie professions.

The difference being, I saw an interest level in an adult education class I taught covering woodworking and cabinetmaking. Students from the high school class volunteered not for extra credit, but just for the exposure. Those were great times.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Very cool. I envy you. I took woodshop in junior high. I don't even remember what I made. I was interested in other things. Now I wish I had taken better advantage. My screen name is LearnByDoing. That's because I've taught myself most of what I know. But the truth is, learning from some who is more experienced is the way to go. Proper technique and fundamentals eliminates a lot of trial and error. Not to mention the importance of shop safety. Not sure if you'll go on to do this as a career or not. But what you are learning will be with you for a lifetime. And for my money is a lot more useful skill than a good golf swing or back hand.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Amen!
i am an uber amateur at best, driving the wife nuts with my expenses... but one thing that i admire about this specific hobby is the fact that the investment in passion, effort and research (in great forums such as these) returns in a very satisfying result...
i've always taught my new designers who work for me, crap in, crap out... (in my best mr. miyagi imitation)

glad to see such resources available to the younger generations...

...Back in my high school days there were no CNC's. Heck, there was barely electricity...
:blink:

/wondering how old is cabinetman... :laughing:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts