Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I got some Deer Antlers to make Pens from, and am wondering what do you use for a finish for these, or no finish?
Thanks in advance for any & all replies.
Take Care & God Bless Mel Rural Hancock Wi

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I have never turned deer antler, but I think this product should work. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pkswaxl1.html . It is a friction wax and I have used it on porous woods and it works very well. Fine sanding (600) makes a big difference in the finish. Let us know. Or if anyone else has a better answer I would be interested...now I want to turn an antler:laughing:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finish for Deer Antler Pens

Hi Daren Thanks for the reply. I have some of the Shellawax finish, & will try some. I have also used Tru Oil for Gunstocks on Pens, but haeven't tried it on Antler. I will try that also.
OK, anybody else have any ideas??
Take Care & God Bless Mel Rural Hancock Wi

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use CA adhesive. When the pen, or whatever, is just about to size, I apply a generous coat to fill the pores then turn the excess glue off. The antler can be polished using any polish you would use for wood. The CA also gives a pretty nice finish on its own.

This is also the same procedure I use for spalted wood and other soft/porous materials.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mel, Tippy told you the best way to have a nice glossy finish on your pen sand with MM ( MICRO MESH) after applying the CA go through all the grade 1500 - to - 12000 grits, what kind of pen are you making?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Antler Pen Finish

Hi darley & Tippy Thanks for your replies.
A friend of mine gave me 6 small Deer Antler Racks for Penmaking. I made him a Slim line Pen & pencil for gratitude.
I don't have any paper as fine as 15000, I go up to 1200 after the ca. They seem pretty smooth, according to my wife, on Sat I will have been taking her advise for 51 years.
Take care & God Bless Mel Rural Hancock Wi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To tweegs

Hi Tweegs
Thanks for the 51St congrats, did I Mention that is with my first wife!
She does a lot of Crocheting, so I made her a crocdet Hook out of some Redheart. Now I have some brownie points again. Might help justify the new jet 1220 she bought for me.
Take care & God Bless Mel Rural Hancock Wi.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have gone away from using the Micro Mesh and started using 0000 Steel Wool. Really like the polish I get then I use Hut friction bars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts