·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup: but P:sick:

Reactions: Sorrowful Jones

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Those are nice and would be GREAT for someone looking for a 'display' type case for an antique or 'collectors' firearm that never got moved from the showroom or taken anywhere.

GREAT work! :yes:

My honest advice here:

Shape reminds me of a coffin and NOT a gun case... (you also sacrifice 'room' with that shape and have no space left for extra mags, cleaning kits, or other 'stuff' that may have came with the 'collector' firearm)

Need some sort of padding on top to protect stuff like 'nice' wood grips on an expensive piece. (wood rubbing on wood would not do so well in MY opinion - Something WILL get marred up if it is moved around any)

You might get more sales if the cases were built so that the gun could be easily 'transported' in them... You would need some sort of latch (or preferrably a locking latch) for the lid so it could be securely closed and some sort of handle to carry the case by... You also get more sales if the buyer is taking your cases places with him and SHOWING OFF your work... :yes: Not so easy to do with no latch and no handle... :no:

Those would be great for a museum but an average 'collector' would not take his gun 'out' anywhere in those and be getting you MORE sales in MY opinion.

I freaking HATE the chinese garbage cases that some of the higher end manufacturers dole out nowadays... Was NOT like that 10 or 20 years ago when you bought a 'nice' gun. :no:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shape reminds me of a coffin and NOT a gun case... (you also sacrifice 'room' with that shape and have no space left for extra mags, cleaning kits, or other 'stuff' that may have came with the 'collector' firearm)
Need some sort of padding on top to protect stuff like 'nice' wood grips on an expensive piece. (wood rubbing on wood would not do so well in MY opinion - Something WILL get marred up if it is moved around any)
You might get more sales if the cases were built so that the gun could be easily 'transported' in them... You would need some sort of latch (or preferrably a locking latch) for the lid so it could be securely closed and some sort of handle to carry the case by... You also get more sales if the buyer is taking your cases places with him and SHOWING OFF your work... :yes: Not so easy to do with no latch and no handle... :no:
Those would be great for a museum but an average 'collector' would not take his gun 'out' anywhere in those and be getting you MORE sales in MY opinion.
I freaking HATE the chinese garbage cases that some of the higher end manufacturers dole out nowadays... Was NOT like that 10 or 20 years ago when you bought a 'nice' gun. :no:
Thank you for your opinion. I am always open to constructive input. As for the shape, it is supposed to look like a coffin. That's part of the uniqueness (if that's a word).

I am trying to find a suitable latch, but all I have been able to find are those hasp types and the ones that look nice are very flimsy. Thinking about a magnet type.

I agree about the padding on the top.

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Thank you for your opinion. I am always open to constructive input. As for the shape, it is supposed to look like a coffin. That's part of the uniqueness (if that's a word).

I am trying to find a suitable latch, but all I have been able to find are those hasp types and the ones that look nice are very flimsy. Thinking about a magnet type.

Was only trying to help. Glad you saw it that way... :yes:

Rockler has some good offerings for specialty latches and such (expensive but good selection and quality).

I would not skimp on the 'details' like latches and such for pieces of woodworking like you made here. You made works of ART and they deserve the best.

There are plently of people that will PAY for that... :yes:

People that can't afford your work (and SKILL) need to go shop at Walmart and get what they pay for... :thumbsup:

·
Banned
6,836 Posts

Personally I would never use any case. My case is one of 3 holsters depending on how I'm carrying for the day.

However, I really like these cases and think you could find a market for them. As for a latch I would look into the key locks like for tool boxes etc. It takes care of any travel and security issues.

Here's a link to the type locks I'm referring to.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think they look great. If i didn't know how to make things like that I would absoultly buy one of them. Oh and I think I'd go with the magnet type latch, maybe a small but strong natural earth magnet.

Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Sorrowful Jones

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice...What exactly do you use under the velvet?
On those I used 2 pieces of 1" memory foam. I cut the gun outline in one piece, glued the two pieces together, and wrapped with velvet or suede cloth. For me, doing the inside is the hardest part. I am not really satisfied with the look. I need a firmer foam I think.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Beautiful work...beautiful cases!!!
I build briefcase style pistol boxes, and use the 1/8" dual density product similar to the dual density one seen HERE in the bottom of the case and 1" medium density foam over that to encase or "French fit" the pistol.
I found both at a large automotive upholstery shop.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
On those I used 2 pieces of 1" memory foam. I cut the gun outline in one piece, glued the two pieces together, and wrapped with velvet or suede cloth. For me, doing the inside is the hardest part. I am not really satisfied with the look. I need a firmer foam I think.
Thanks...I've been researching linings for a rifle presentation case that I have planned. To date I haven't found anything that satisfies me. Your cases are very nice...by the way.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Beautiful work...beautiful cases!!!
I build briefcase style pistol boxes, and use the 1/8" dual density product similar to the dual density one seen HERE in the bottom of the case and 1" medium density foam over that to encase or "French fit" the pistol.
I found both at a large automotive upholstery shop.
Do you have pics of your finished product?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts