Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
The New Guy
1,199 Posts
I have a smart phone. I'm sad to admit that it's smarter than me. The GPS in my car tells me I'm going the wrong way all the time. Siri says I speak gibberish. I can't handle my drill refusing to turn on because I can't hold it plumb. I have to have at least one tool that lets me do what I want to do, even if it's wrong. I don't want a smart drill. I'm keeping my stupid drill.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
I have a smart phone. I'm sad to admit that it's smarter than me. The GPS in my car tells me I'm going the wrong way all the time. Siri says I speak gibberish. I can't handle my drill refusing to turn on because I can't hold it plumb. I have to have at least one tool that lets me do what I want to do, even if it's wrong. I don't want a smart drill. I'm keeping my stupid drill.
Amen!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I really appreciate all the comments on this subject, especially the idea of an indicator light instead of having the drill motor automatically shutting off. As for the portable mini-drill press alignment device, I’ve used a version of this for decades with generally good results for those jobs when it makes sense. But I continue to see useful applications for a drill with a built-in level/plumb guide. Advancing technology and new inventions require pursing ideas despite naysayers of which there is always an ample supply. In a free market, those who buy and those who don’t works itself out on a case-by-case basis. :)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Itchytoe said:
Laughing!

I have a smart phone and a laptop that have more capabilities than I'll ever use.

Hell, I'll never even buy an automatic tranny vehicle! I'll shift when I darn well wanna, I'll feather the clutch as needed.

When I need a vehicle that drives or parks itself it's time to board public transportation with a cup of coffee and a newspaper thank you very much!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Marsman said:
I really appreciate all the comments on this subject, especially the idea of an indicator light instead of having the drill motor automatically shutting off. As for the portable mini-drill press alignment device, I’ve used a version of this for decades with generally good results for those jobs when it makes sense. But I continue to see useful applications for a drill with a built-in level/plumb guide. Advancing technology and new inventions require pursing ideas despite naysayers of which there is always an ample supply. In a free market, those who buy and those who don’t works itself out on a case-by-case basis. :)
If you use a "hard reference" such as one of the drill guides previously posted your going to be pretty much on the money.

If you want to rely on "superior technology" good luck with that.

A hand held drill and eyeballing it or a newfangled drill that shuts itself off because you rely on a steady hand are THE SAME? %&$#@ thing!

Good luck pal. :)

BTW go ahead. Design, build and market one of those gadgets and let me know when you meet the $40.00 price point if the collet mounted drill guide.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I know I'm pushing a point here but I've thought more about this subject.

Once I set the depth stop and angle on my low tech drill guide and position it over the center line I can drill a perpindicular or angled hole to a prescribed depth blindfolded.

No hard feelings, I'm just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
After reading jharris's opinions, I'm trading all my power tools for their stone-tool equivalents and my automatic transmission cars for Flintstone mobiles. After all, who needs all this stinkin' technology. Up with Luddites!

Bill

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
dodgeboy77 said:
After reading jharris's opinions, I'm trading all my power tools for their stone-tool equivalents and my automatic transmission cars for Flintstone mobiles. After all, who needs all this stinkin' technology. Up with Luddites!

Bill
You've apparently misinterpreted both my posts and the term "luddite"

Luddite [luhd-ahyt]

—noun

1. a member of any of various bands of workers in England (1811–16) organized to destroy manufacturing machinery, under the belief that its use diminished employment.

My home and shop are filled with all manner of modern conveniences and I'm happy to have them.

I do not drive an automatic tranny because I enjoy the greater control of shifting manually.

It's a matter of preference not unlike some of our preference for hand tools.

What I've been saying is that the collet mounted drill guide serves the intended purpose with accuracy and efficiency at a fraction of the cost of the proposed innovation.

I applaud the OP and other contributors to this thread for their thoughtful responses.

I simply do not believe that there is or will be a market for said innovation.

Ok?

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Look technological advances are good in many ways. They already have the drill press and jigs for drilling holes for shelf pins that could probably be modified/expanded to drill those perfectly straight holes with a hand drill.
The problem I see is cost vs benefit. Just look at the SawStop debates and it saves fingers. People in general but woodworkers especially don't like paying more for things they don't think are needed or that they can build something that will do the same job.

It's just my opinion but that kind of technology would be to expensive to justify any small amount of benefit that may or may not come from it. My first thought on things like that is just another high tech add on that will likely break and cost more money to fix.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Everyone's awfully feisty this week...I think the weekend is desperately needed.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Amen Ryan!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
dodgeboy77 said:
Darn. Just when I was getting used to my new stone tools.

Bill
Be sure and let us know how that goes Bill.

;)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
That was the one I purchased originally. I left it on a job and it was found by someone who had no concept of what did or did not belong to them.

I feel a rant boiling up but....

I like it better than the General Tool version that I bought on sale/impulse to replace it.

The one shown in the previous post has two pointed pins that screwed into the base from the top to keep the base from moving around on the workpiece (sometimes handy but not recommended for finer work)

The pins could also be screwed in from the bottom of the base and placed over a workpiece up to +/- 3"?

Then the user could rotate the rig until the pins engaged the workpiece and drill centered holes.

If anyone is considering buying one of these gadgets those are features to look for.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I think one of these could be the answer to my problem of locking my legs to the top frame of my coffee table using dowels. It can't be done on my drill press, and I've been struggling on scraps to get 90 degree holes for dowels.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
You may not use it often but ....

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi!
Similiar to Steve's Precision Drill Guide (but 40 yrs. aolder) was a nice attachment called the "port-align", made and branded by Port Align and Craftsman.
Seen on ebay for $10 - $15, it covers most bases. With your drill, you can drill most any angle (90* also), center bit, drill flat or round stock (centered!), horiz./vert., whatever! :yes: Low Tech! Decent construction!
Best,
Marena and Vinny (newly admitted to ol' methane producer club:yes:...hope you're ok with this rrich!)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts