Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many handheld electric drills have a built-in level to aid the user in making horizontal holes. However, wouldn’t it be especially useful to have a drill with a switch that automatically requires it be perfectly aligned for horizontal or vertical drilling for it to operate? Switch off: normal drill use. Switch on: drill only activates in the level or plumb positions. I’ve searched for such a drill with no luck. Anyone know if this invention is available?

·
John
3,028 Posts
I haven't heard of any drill with that feature. Not sure I would want one. My ego took enough of beating admitting the computer is smarter than me, don't know if I could handle a drill doin the same thing.:blink:

·
7,222 Posts
I haven't heard of any drill with that feature. Not sure I would want one.
+1. I would not be happy with a tool which stopped drilling just because I was slightly off vertical or horizontal. Worse if the drill stopped and then got stuck in the wood and did not want to start again.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
How about a drill that would signal with a light or indicator when you were off angle? That way you could correct without the drill shutting off. I don't know what kind of electronics would be involved in that but I'm sure it could be done.

Inventor needed! :yes:

Bill

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Actually there is such a device. It was featured in an infomercial probably 40 years ago. The device was a gizmo that attached to an electric drill and made the hand drill function similar to a drill press.

The infomercial started out with something like "eyesight failing and the need to center drill a 2x4." Then it went on to stress square to the surface drilling. I remember thinking, cool, but how often am I going to be making a ladder with round rungs?

I remember seeing the gizmo several years ago for sale in a Rockler store and then later in the bargain bin. I think that the major problem with the gizmo was that it was built more like a toy rather than a tool.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I agree with Schaben and Paine.

This type gadget is is the best thing I've found for drilling/boring at 90° on workpieces too awkward/large for a drill press.

They will also do angles from 90° to 45°.

"Perfect"? Thats a tall order but I I've used one to drill the dowl holes in my flip top carts, bench dog holes etc. with good results.

http://www.rockler.com/m/product.cfm?page=2405

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Many handheld electric drills have a built-in level to aid the user in making horizontal holes. However, wouldn’t it be especially useful to have a drill with a switch that automatically requires it be perfectly aligned for horizontal or vertical drilling for it to operate? Switch off: normal drill use. Switch on: drill only activates in the level or plumb positions. I’ve searched for such a drill with no luck. Anyone know if this invention is available?
It would be expensive and not particularly useful. The little "bubble" is good enough for me.

I cannot think of anything that I would be hand drilling that would need that amount of accuracy.

George

·
7,222 Posts
How about a drill that would signal with a light or indicator when you were off angle? That way you could correct without the drill shutting off. I don't know what kind of electronics would be involved in that but I'm sure it could be done.

Inventor needed! :yes:
Conceptually, the innards of a Wixey Angle Gauge could be embedded in the drill. Zero the scale, click a button for whether you want to drill vertical or horizontal. There could be a light which would come on if you were out of alignment by +/- a preset number of degrees.

Interesting technical challenge, but I expect the additional production cost for the drill would be too much to sell. Perhaps a Festtool could incorporate such a feature, although that would put it out of my budget.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
It would be expensive and not particularly useful. The little "bubble" is good enough for me.

I cannot think of anything that I would be hand drilling that would need that amount of accuracy.

George
I have a drill with a bubble level. By the time keeping an eye on the bubble, the drill gets off. I usually just hold a try square up close, and just sight the direction of the drill. You could do that in two proximities to the drill.

·
Registered
27,544 Posts
I don't even use the bubble on a drill. A project would have to be perfectly leveled before that might be of any use. I don't know about a gadget that would disable a drill if it wasn't perfectly plumb. Keep in mind most of the drills are made in China. I don't think I would want one of their gadgets on my drill that would disable it. I would be happy if someone would invent a drill the bit wouldn't fall out. There are a number of different doweling jigs and devices to drill straight holes.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I got it handled, guys. All I need is another angle gauge and more masking tape for the other axis! :laughing:

Bill

PS: It was really hard to hold that drill at 0 degrees!

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
I got it handled, guys. All I need is another angle gauge and more masking tape for the other axis! :laughing:

Bill

I see the informercials starting already. 4 easy payments of just 39.95 but order during this commercial and get a second one free.:laughing::laughing:

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Nope don't think it's possible. :thumbsup:

·
7,222 Posts

Bill

Well we can tell this was a prototype. You used masking tape instead of duct tape, and you did not include an idiot light. :laughing:

Perhaps you can consider the "Professional" version which would sell for an extra $10 and include a stainless steel hose clamp to secure the angle gauge. Of course the hose clamp would need to be installed across the front to cover the display in "ThereIFixedIt" style. ;)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Plus one.

No need to complicate things.

Sometimes "low tech" is the best "tech".

I once had a mini "drill press" that you could mount a drill on. After a few minutes of trying to mount the drill perpendicular to the base I saw the futility of my efforts.

I'd post a photo of that POS as a visual warning but is have to rummage through the landfill to do so.

The type you and I posted mounts directly into the drill collet.

What could be more simple?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts