Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I stumbled upon somebody's nightstand build awhile back and liked it. Saved some Images in case I ever wanted to try it out. Now the time has come.

I have saved some cypress fence boards (1"x6") from the burn pile and sent them through the planer (right now I'm at 7/8" thickness). I have enough to do the 2 nightstands and then some.

The problem...Out of a 1x6 I am only getting a 3/4" x 3" worth of usable lumber. The top needs to be 1 1/2" thick and 14" by 21". What would be the best way to take a pile of 3" wide boards and making the desired width?

I am thinking, edge/face jointing and gluing (4) 7 1/2" x 21" pieces, then face gluing pairs, running through the planer to 1 1/2" then edge gluing the halves. Does that make sense?

Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Either my plan is the only possible approach or my communication skills lack and nobody understands what I'm asking. Oh well, I will carry on as planned.:smile:

·
7,222 Posts
I am thinking, edge/face jointing and gluing (4) 7 1/2" x 21" pieces, then face gluing pairs, running through the planer to 1 1/2" then edge gluing the halves. Does that make sense?

Any suggestions?
I understand the issue with yield from the recycled cypress.

If you want a 1 1/2in thick top, I would glue the 1/2in thick pieces you mention to 2 @ 1/2in thick pieces of birch plywood for stability and to get a flat top. Trim the outside as your initial plan.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I would glue up two panels to final size, take them and get them wide belt sanded, and then face glue them together.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Although what your proposing would work too....and negate the need for a wide belt sander. Just make sure the joints don't line up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will see if I can find a source for a wide sander. I don't really have any connections. The plywood trick may save some headache....and cypress. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Quite a few cabinet or moulding shops have them....saves me a ton of time with glue ups.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am building that exact same set of tables and my top is only 1 inch thick. The profile still looks very nice. I will take a couple of pictures of mine tonight and post them up for you so you can see what it will look like with a little bit different dimensions.

Don't expect any "finished" project pictures for awhile though. It is taking me FOREVER to get this done because of two extenuating circumstances:

1) First actual furniture project
2) I have a 3 year old and a set of 1 year old twins :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jordan. Would you happen to have a link to the original thread as all I have are a few saved images?

Wow on the youngins. I have a 4 year old and can't get anything done. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks Jordan. Would you happen to have a link to the original thread as all I have are a few saved images?

Wow on the youngins. I have a 4 year old and can't get anything done. :icon_smile:
Someone posted an album link on Reddit awhile back, not an extensive build document but there are some really good pictures to use as reference. Here is the album: http://imgur.com/a/62rvo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts