Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the past week, rearranging my shop....end result was to place my tablesaw in the center of the shop (25' x 30'). I do not want to run 4" dc hose across the floor to the saw, so I'm thinking of getting a 1hp portable dc dedicated to the tablesaw...I am also going to build a 48" x 63" outfeed table for the saw.

1. Is the 1hp dc a good idea, or am I wasting my money?

2. I am building the top of the OF table out of birch or oak 3/4" ply, and plan to coat with about 5 coats of brush on polyurethane....will this be smooth enough for an OF table?

Thanks.....

·
7,222 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a 1hp portable dc dedicated to the tablesaw...I am also going to build a 48" x 63" outfeed table for the saw.

1. Is the 1hp dc a good idea, or am I wasting my money?
It depends on whether the 1HP unit will pull as much air as the 4in hose. Hard to predict. Too many variables. It is possible it may be as good or better, depending on the present ductwork and losses.

2. I am building the top of the OF table out of birch or oak 3/4" ply, and plan to coat with about 5 coats of brush on polyurethane....will this be smooth enough for an OF table?
I made my outfeed table from 3/4in MDF with a 1x frame for support. I did not coat this, smooth enough for my outfeed needs.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
1hp dc is ok for one piece of equipment but I recommend a 2 Hp for the 4 inch lines an you can set up for 3 machines using 4 inch an 2 1/2 inch lines with gates

·
John
3,028 Posts
Like Dave said, lots of variables on the dust collection.
For the outfeed table, MDF or Melamine would give you a smooth enough surface without a lot of the cost of the furniture grade plywood. Unless that shop furniture is your objective. :smile:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1hp dc is ok for one piece of equipment but I recommend a 2 Hp for the 4 inch lines an you can set up for 3 machines using 4 inch an 2 1/2 inch lines with gates
I already have a 2hp dc that is connected to my router table, planer, jointer, and sanding station.....I just don't want to have a 4 in hose running across the floor to get to my ts.....

I went into HF this morning, and picked up a 1hp portable (13 gallon bag), will hook it up this afternoon, and see how it does....thanks, everyone for the help.....still thinking about the OF table....no one seems to sell melamine around here that is wider than 18"....none at lowes or home depot.....

·
Registered
305 Posts
I already have a 2hp dc that is connected to my router table, planer, jointer, and sanding station.....I just don't want to have a 4 in hose running across the floor to get to my ts.....
Not a job to take on casually, but under floor duct to a large DC might be a route to consider. It keeps the floor clear of ducts (and power cords), keeps the DC noise more remote, and doesn't require a separate local DC taking up floor space. If there is a crawl space under your shop floor, you are golden, but even a concrete floor is not out of the question:

More deatile on how it was done:

http://bullfire.net/Dust_Collection/Under Floor Dust Collection.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts