Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd show you guys what I do in my spare time (never seem to have enough of that!). I use Australian native timbers sourced from either recycled, recovered or sustainable sources. Started building about 2 years ago and wish I had started 20 years ago!

Australian Blackwood back and sides, Bunya Pine top

Blackheart Sassafras back and sides, Bunya Pine top

Tasmanian Tiger Myrtle back and sides, Bunya Pine top

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
How does someone go about learning how to shape, bend, or otherwise make one of those? I find those very intriguing. I don't know anything about music but would love to make one for my nephew.

Mark

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
That's some pretty work. The Tasmanian Tiger Myrtle is gorgeous. I have never seen it before.
I've played for 50+ years primarily acoustic fingerpicking but I wouldn't have a clue of where to begin building one.
Do you have any you tubes? I'd like to hear what they sound like.
BTW.. Welcome to the forums.
..Jon..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments!

Mark, I did a two week intensive guitar building course a couple of years a go and have just gone on from there. There's probably a course near where you live. The main thing you need is a little patience. Bending sides is satisfying but a little cringe worthy.

Jon, if you'd like to hear a couple of my guitars, I have various recordings on my soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/martintaylor

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I suppose I should go listen on my desktop with the home theater attatched. Just too lazy to get out of my lazyboy and go sit at the desk. Anyway, very nice guitars. Well done. Would love to see tutorial of a guitar build if you are ever so inclined. I have had guitar building on my bucket list for years. I work oppressive hours...combine that with family issues and there is no time for such a project. 4 years till retirement. After the initial time of taking care of projects that I have promised my wife...guitar building will happen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MARTIN TAYLOR!! What a perfect name for an acoustic guitar maker. Do you ever get any grief from Martin or Taylor about selling Martin-Taylor guitars?
Hi Kevin, yeah, you can't get a much better birth name than mine for guitar making! Fortunately, because "Martin" and "Taylor" are both considered generic names and it is my birth name, I can trade under it without any hassles. I can't copy any of their trademarks, logos, designs etc but the name itself is OK. Phew!

And, for those interested in pricing etc feel free to check out my website http://martintaylorguitars.com.au

·
Registered
140 Posts
Holy cow, I know these are quality but if I bought one I would have to learn how to play with my feet cause my wife would cut off my hands lol. You should check out a shop right down the road from my house called House of Guitars, they are in Rochester NY and they sell a ton of high end guitars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I must say those are gorgeous guitars. My favorite one is the Blackwood. What Machine Heads & Ratio are on it? What species is the neck, bridge & fret board? I also notice you have no fingerboard inlay or markers, I'd be lost without the markers.

I own 2 Martins, a DCME and a 0015M. Both are low end priced Martins, at just $1000.00 each although the DCME is 8 years older than the 0015M. They sound & play fantastic, I love them. I'd be very interested in playing and comparing your guitars to mine. I know that's not possible since we are on opposite sides of this planet. oh well, such is life. After listening to your audio samples I'd say your guitars have the best tones I've heard on any of the many guitars I've played. Great sustain. To add to that I have played $3000 + guitars that do not sound or play as good as my $1000 Martins.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hi Woodfred,

Thanks so much for the encouraging comments.

I use Gotoh machine heads with a 16:1 ratio. I find they are nice and smooth. I usually use Queensland Maple for the necks. The fretboards and bridges are Mulga wood (an Australian outback timber). And I do put in side markers, usually Abalone or Pearl but they aren't visible in the pictures.

I wish my playing ability was much better, I seem to be stuck at the same place I have been for years. Anyway, more practice I guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts