Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas, I've been on the hunt for a new BS and saving my money.
So now's the time! But I have a few questions and I'm hoping some of you more knowledgeable types will help me out.
Basically it's the same band saw a 17" here's the first one.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2HP-w-Cast-Iron-Trunnion/G0513X2

Here's the second one.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2-HP/G0513

There are quite a few differences actually, table size, cast iron wheels compared with cast aluminum.

Are the trunnions worth it? Especially if I don't plan on moving my table much and also I have absolutely no experience with re sawing, but that's one of the main reasons I'm upgrading from my pos 14" anyway are factory re saw fences any good?
Am I better off making my own. If you could take a look and give me your thoughts or opinions on these I surely would appreciate your input.
I have the cash for the better unit, but not interested in just giving my money away.
Thanks!

·
where's my table saw?
27,896 Posts
the difference is $200.00

For that you get a cast iron, fence cast iron wheels and cast iron trunnions And you get a more rigid saw and less vibration. I have the 19" Grizzly ...all cast iron. It's a great machine and will last more than my lifetime. I have other saws with aluminum wheels and trunions and they work fine, just not the solid feel of a heavier machine. It's about longevity and another $200.00. Either will probably cut about the same.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw-w-Cast-Iron-Trunnion-Brake-/G0513X2B
This one has a built in motor brake that stops the blade in 3 seconds. Mine has the same motor brake and I got it specifically for that feature. A spinning bandsaw blade that takes 2 minutes to stop is a safety hazard in my opinion. Impatience is one of the woodworker's worst enemies and waiting for the blade to stop would drive me nuts. A casual brush with the finished workpiece or worse yet, your hands or fingers would be a disaster.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have the lower cost version of the two, aluminum wheels and less substantial trunnion. That being said, I still love this saw. I did upgrade to all ball bearing guides which made an improvement. This is a very smooth and powerful saw. I have frequently used all of the available 12" cutting height in sawing logs and re-sawing as well as doing delicate tenons and dovetails and with the right blades it handles these tasks to my complete satisfaction.

If I could have I would have preferred to have the upgraded version but I bought my saw used off Craigs List. Someday I will make all the upgrades but haven't felt compelled to do so yet because the saw works fine the way it is.

Bret

·
7,222 Posts
I also have the lower cost version, the G0513. At the time this was the only version available.

I have been happy with the saw. Whichever saw you decide on, get some decent blades such as TimberWolf, much better than the stock Grizzly blades.

The cast iron trunnion has a slightly different lower blade support which I would prefer.

Only you can decide if the other version is worth the extra money.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for your replys gentlemen. Looks like I'll be making the hour drive north to pick up my new bandsaw on Friday!

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well guys I picked up my new 5013X2! Boy am I excited to get this thing all setup and tuned. And Grizzly sells Timber Wolf blades, though a rather limited selection, I did pick two blades to get me started.
I have to do some wiring first though, need to run a dedicated 220v
over to it. I have plenty of space in my breaker box for it and lucky me my breaker panel is right in my shop.
I have to wait for my good friend who is an electrician to come over and help me, so in the mean time I will get it setup and learn this saw inside and out!
I must say it's pretty cool having a Grizzly only an hour away:thumbsup:
I picked up a Forrest blade for my chopsaw as well and some 6x48
belts for my sander. Great day!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Well guys I picked up my new 5013X2! Boy am I excited to get this thing all setup and tuned. And Grizzly sells Timber Wolf blades, though a rather limited selection, I did pick two blades to get me started.

congrats on the buy. hope it meets all your expectations. now that you have a really nice band saw, you might want to consider equipping it with some good blades and not those timberwolfs.

I have to do some wiring first though, need to run a dedicated 220v
over to it. I have plenty of space in my breaker box for it and lucky me my breaker panel is right in my shop.

I have to wait for my good friend who is an electrician to come over and help me, so in the mean time I will get it setup and learn this saw inside and out!

any chance for a sub panel? it'll make future shop wiring simpler in that it keeps those circuits separate from the other house circuits.

that's something i am really jealous of!

I picked up a Forrest blade for my chopsaw as well and some 6x48
belts for my sander. Great day!
hope this helps.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Crusader said:
I have one about 35 miles away and I almost find it burdensome. It's expensive having a good supply store so available :) I tend to visit it at least twice a month and I'm not good at coming out empty handed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts