Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I just finished this cutting board today and wanted to get your opinions on it. I really enjoyed making it!!! There will just be pictures here but if you guys would like I would make a thread to talk you through how I did each step. Thanks for looking!!

Attachments

·
Wood Mangler
139 Posts
Awesome. Can't wait to see the how to. :)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Very sharp looking board.:thumbsup:

Please do a build thread - just add it onto this one if you want. Everybody does things just a little bit differently and seeing your process may provide shortcuts/help to those contemplating a similar build.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dirty-curty said:
What kind of wood are the larger blocks? I'm guessing Walnut,Maple, and Cherry?
I did use maple walnut and cherry... Maple and wlanut are the main 2... And they are all the same size ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
That's a really nice board!!!!!! I want to try my hand at making one. I have an idea for a design just not the time or wood yet.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys so here is how it went down. Home sick with pneumonia I was bored out of my mind! An I was missing being in school with the shop so I started drawing and with a little help from a website I drew up plans and went to work on it the next day.

First glue up: I got 4 strips of wlanut 4 strips of maple and 3 strips of cherry. Cut them at 32" long and 1 1/8 wide.... I then glued it W-M-C-W-M-C-W-M-C

The jig: after the first glue up came the cutting part. Now to achieve this "3D" design the wood has to be cut on an angle so I made a cross cut sled for our saw stop at school. Then I made a block of wood that would allow me to cut the board at 60 degree strips.... On the opposite side I put a stop block at an inch and a half... The block has to have a 150 degree angle on it to cut correctly. And the best method is to first draw a 60 degree line from the bottom left hand corner... Line your block up and make that cut. Then you will have to move your block over and attach your stop... All peices have to be the exact same size. I chose 11/2... So I went ahead and cut all of those now I had a pile of these strips.... You have to flip every other one to get the desired look. After that I cut slots in them to put small wood strips in so I could glue them back up... I'll post some pictures if you guys have any questions feel free to ask!!! This is my first cutting board ever by the way! I don't have a picture of the sled with the attachments so I'll get that Monday!

Attachments

·
Dan Gallagher
86 Posts
Maple Walnut and Blood Wood

I finished mine with Mineral Oil for a food safe finish, and added handles for use as a serving tray.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dan Gal said:
This is where I got the idea from! I used his measurements and his jig idea.... But he left out the angles and stuff for the jig.... I also cut slots in the wood to slide small thin pieces in so that I was positive it would stay glued.. End grain can be a pain! I also made myn smaller. As he said his looked more like a serving tray and I liked the cutting board more.

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
JJ over the last year or so that I have followed your work you have improved in your skills at a breakneck speed. Is fun to watch as you progress in your craft /trade keep up the good work learn from others, teach what you have learned and share tricks that makes what seems hard easy and life will treat you well.

Jerry

·
Registered
792 Posts
wood shavings said:
JJ over the last year or so that I have followed your work you have improved in your skills at a breakneck speed. Is fun to watch as you progress in your craft /trade keep up the good work learn from others, teach what you have learned and share tricks that makes what seems hard easy and life will treat you well. Jerry
+1. Keep up the good work
This cutting board is real nice and you absolutely nailed the 3D look

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you both for the kind words!!! That means a lot more then you guys know! I respect everyone on this site and look to all of them for advice and hearing that is awesome!!! Thanks so much!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts