Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this is my first real project. Still new enough that I completely confused myself between wood talk and woodworking talk online. Ended up posting this over there when i thought it was being posted here. . Who would have thought?

Anyways, I decided I wanted to make an interesting chest for my wife. While i really wanted it to come out well, I was using it mostly as a learning experiance... boy i think i got in a bit over my head but the result was close to what i had hoped.

First i wanted a lot of contrasting grain, particularly around the sides of the curved top. I was looking to get a rising sun patern there. That came out very much how i wanted. Also on the walls i was hoping for each piece to contrase each other with the grain. In this respect some worked and some didnt. in one case each of the 5 pieces that make up the panel have a sharp contrast in the grain. I really liked how that came out. The top has some contrast, but it's mostly between two basic patterns and while it isnt bad, it's not exactly what i was going for.

Where i think i fell very short on this was the finishing. I wanted a really weathered and worn look combined with a bit of a gloss as if it were restored. The weathering i tried, scratched , minor gouges mostly doesnt look overly natural though im not sure how to fix that at this point >.>

The inside i lined with red (her favorite color) pho-leather. Lining that up is a pain!

Last thing i did was to use a sanding block to flatten a part of the top and stick a plate with her initials on it there. Here i made another mistake, i had already done the finish at this point and when i flattened this just by doing it i ended up with some issues around it that took some effort to blend into the surrounding. Lessoned learned: dont finish till you're done cutting >.>

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.