Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Had this large chunk of cedar that was a salvage from the wood chipper at the dump. I got 2 blanks, the other one is an ongoing project--needed lots of help because of wood ants.
This one is 11 x 3 inches. Had some inclusions that were worrisome at first, but made for nice figure.
Finish is lacquer to show the grain and color. And did I say it smells nice?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gary Beasley said:
Good work! My experience with cedar has been less that fun. Stuff I got had invisible splits that would launch bowl parts across the room partway through turning. Yours probably dried under much more controlled circumstances.
Haha, Gary-- that's been my experience too. It tends to split unexpectedly, and then no matter how dry it is, micro cracks show up later. Kind of a temporary beauty, plus the red will darken to brown later.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The bowls are very nice.

I've also had bad luck with cedar, split once done and not all that nice while turning. I do love cedar especially for wood work just doubt I'll turn any again.

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,540 Posts
I do find that cedar is very nice to use on the scroll saw. I've made some bowls out of it using the stacked ring technique and if I can ever get a good smooth finish down on them they will look killer! Boxes turn out quite well too. Stuff just don't like being spun, probably gets motion sickness and throws up and out on everything.

·
Watch the jointer.
13 Posts
Gorgeous! I want to try turning one day. Stuff like that bowl really get me fired up, even though it would probably be months before I could rock that.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Great looking bowl. I've been reading about these "micro cracks" etc that cedar may develop. So I'm thinking that cedar isn't a good candidate for handles? Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts