Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am constructing an entertainment center from oak veneer plywood and pine. The pine parts will be painted black and the oak ply will be stained and finished with poly.

My question is what is the best paint for the black—I want a satin finish—and how best to apply it. I don't have a spray rig nor can I afford one at this point.

I am contemplating sanding, applying sanding sealer, sanding again and then using a small diameter fabric roller. The paint I have on hand is Valspar interior/exterior latex enamel. The last time I used it on a small plant stand constructed of pine and brushed it on, but brush marks were visible when I finished.

And suggestions?

I would prefer an oil-based paint, but here in Illinois with tough VOC laws it is getting hard to find even in quart size.

·
Registered
305 Posts
check a benjamin moore store and see if you can get their Impervo oil based in satin. i think black was one of the stock colors, at least around here it was.
other choice would be sherwin-williams. stay away from any big box store for quality paint, there is no such thing as paint and primer in one.

·
Registered
27,109 Posts
I bet at any name brand paint store such as Sherwin Williams you could get an oil based paint. If you contact Sherwin Williams, ask for All Surface Enamel or their Industrial Maintenance Enamel. If you strike out you might try Tractor Supply. The oil based enamel they sell for tractors could be used on wood. Its a lot more expensive but more durable but you can use a black automotive urethane enamel available at auto paint stores.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you ever tried India Ink? I am not sure if that fits here, but I have seen really good things. No brush marks and the poly would go right over it. I am sure someone here will correct me or corroborate it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I am constructing an entertainment center from oak veneer plywood and pine. The pine parts will be painted black and the oak ply will be stained and finished with poly.

My question is what is the best paint for the black—I want a satin finish—and how best to apply it. I don't have a spray rig nor can I afford one at this point.

I am contemplating sanding, applying sanding sealer, sanding again and then using a small diameter fabric roller. The paint I have on hand is Valspar interior/exterior latex enamel. The last time I used it on a small plant stand constructed of pine and brushed it on, but brush marks were visible when I finished.

And suggestions?

I would prefer an oil-based paint, but here in Illinois with tough VOC laws it is getting hard to find even in quart size.
Impervo would be a great choice. Benjamin Moore also makes a great paint, acrylic hybrid, called Advance. It is designed specifically for casework. It behaves much like Impervo, but cleans up with soap and water. The only downside is it takes around two weeks to reach maximum hardness so you don't want to beat on it right away. I have used it on numerous built ins and furniture and really like it. It can be sprayed, or brushed. I would definitely avoid latex paint for casework.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have you ever tried India Ink? I am not sure if that fits here, but I have seen really good things. No brush marks and the poly would go right over it. I am sure someone here will correct me or corroborate it.
A friend of mine used India Ink to finish a pair of large speaker boxes and it turned out nice.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I use black spray lacquer. Found it by accident when I picked up a can thinking I had grabbed the clear lacquer - (aerosol can).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts