Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My family really loved his robots. We sent off for the book and Steve was most generous in sharing his tips and tricks.
My heartfelt thanks Steve, you made our job easier. It was so much fun working in the shop with my son. At his age, he's all about that damm X-box, so it was nice to lure him in with something right up his alley.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64627&stc=1&d=1362373998
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64628&stc=1&d=1362373998
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64629&stc=1&d=1362373998
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64630&stc=1&d=1362373998

Way cool! and what a pleasant break.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
That's a good looking young man you have. I'll betr he has to beat the girls away with a stick.

I really love the robot with the severed head and the oops expression. Seems like it is thinking gosh I hope I don't get caught with this head. Then the next pic looks like its trying to run away before anyone finds out! :laughing:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Very cool.
He'll remember this long after the batteries wear out on the XBOX.
.....they do take batteries don't they????:huh:

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
Boy, that is a Proud Papa moment if I ever heard one. That is awesome that you got your son to enjoy in you hobby with you, and the memories will last a lifetime. Heck, when he has kids, he will probably show them the robot that he made with you (grandpa), and they might be inspired to do so.

And, yes, Steve definitely deserves thanks for him being willing to share with us.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Aww, now look at the face on that boy! This really is a moment you can be very proud to have shared with your boy. And I am touched that these robots have gone over so well. Here, at my woodworking club and in my personal life. People absolutely LOVE these things!

While the creative kudos goes to Bob Gilsdorf for his brilliant robot plans (sans the error in published dimensions, which I addressed in my robots thread. Incidentally, the book is published by Fox Chapel Publishing, the same publishing company reviewing and market testing my book proposal - since Sept of last year... Come on Fox; get back with me on your final decision. You're killing me over here!)

I agonized over what I was going to make for those center pieces for the club banquet. When I settled on the robots I just knew they were unique and interesting enough to really make an impression. But the positive reception is amazing. So I'm glad I was able to be an agent to introduce such a special project to so many appreciative people. Both lay people and woodworkers alike. Heck, I've sold two of these to two different members of this very forum. If that doesn't speak volumes for the project's appeal I'm at a loss. I think I owe it to Mr. Gilsdorf to send him a letter in appreciation of his most excellent book and the fresh and unique ideas he's brought to the table.

I love when things like this demonstrate just how important it is for woodworkers to realize that crafting wood isn't only about building tables and dressers. Sometimes it's just as important to make things that serve to stimulate the imagination and ignite that spark of joy in unexpected and fun ways.

Enough of my endless, sappy philosophizing.

Thank you, Crusader, for sharing your father-son time with us. We need more young blood involved in the hobby. And we all need more father-son time. And thank you for crediting me. But remember that it was you who chose to forge ahead and make it happen. And for that: Thank YOU :thumbsup:

P.S. Your son is awesome! And so is his dad.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeez Steve now I'm a gonna cry :no:
I have to give credit where credit is due, BUT to be honest the heartfelt thanks isn't really for the robot "action figure"
It's for giving me the inspiration to do something fun, and something
I could share with my son. I can't really remember when I built something just for the joy of building. I mean I love woodworking and all that, but everything has a purpose. I build this for that, I build for someone else, I build to serve a need.
Your build and seeing how much fun you were having, though tiring, was a big wakeup call! I had such a good time with my boy, and I would like to think he did too. He actually asked me why I was building something so silly, not like me he said. He was right, but I told him we should do this more often and let's think up some things we could build.
Sometimes it takes alittle nudge to get back on course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts