Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
(clever wood pun here)
984 Posts
Nice job on the cabinet. I like your 45 degree sled--I may need to make one of those. I was a little scared of your crosscutting against the fence maneuver at about 3min in on the video, though :eek:.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nice job on the cabinet. I like your 45 degree sled--I may need to make one of those. I was a little scared of your crosscutting against the fence maneuver at about 3min in on the video, though :eek:.
Why? With a sled and a non through cut I don't see any problems. When the wood makes contact with the fence there is nothing in between the fence and the blade. :smile:

·
(clever wood pun here)
984 Posts
Why? With a sled and a non through cut I don't see any problems. When the wood makes contact with the fence there is nothing in between the fence and the blade. :smile:
I think we are talking about different things. I am talking about cross cutting the sheet stock against the fence at 03:08 into the video. You have a riving knife, which is good, but could still result in a kickback. :thumbsup:

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
I just rewatched the video at 3:08. I watched it a couple of times. I don't see any unsafe activity going on. The piece between the blade and fence is long enough that cocking it's unlikely. Plus, he's pushing it through. It's not a short piece (front to back) allowed to float free.

If the workpiece wasn't as long, or wide, front to back, it might be more tippy. As is, it looked good to me.

·
(clever wood pun here)
984 Posts
I'm not trying to cause any problems here or deviate too far from the thread. I am just of the mind that anything wider than it is long is more safely cut not against the fence. Again, not trying to criticize Jay or anyone else. Jay did a fine job on the cabinet and I really enjoyed the video (much better pace than most WW videos!)

I might just have a different school of thought on this matter. Jay's still got all of his fingers and he demonstrates an array of push sticks and other safe stuff in the video, so that says something!:laughing:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'm not as concerned about the size of the panel there....ill admit I've cut shorter...but the proximity of his fingers to the blade around 3:15 or so is troubling to me. Just takes one tiny slip...

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
I'm not as concerned about the size of the panel there....ill admit I've cut shorter...but the proximity of his fingers to the blade around 3:15 or so is troubling to me. Just takes one tiny slip...
Personally, it's too close for MY fingers. It would make me nervous to do without a push stick.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Good conversation without anyone getting grumpy :)

At 3:08 I don't see a problem with cutting the panel as I am putting pressure against the fence the whole time. Given the size of the panel I still believe I would get more binding than kickback if I happened to get it out of line. Also, having used this saw with a riving knife I will never use it without.

At 3:15 through the rest of the scene I don't think my hands were too close.

At 3:19 I will say that my hand should have never gotten in the line of the blade

Other than that I don't see any other problems. Bottom line, if you don't feel comfortable doing something a certain way, don't do it. I felt safe and comfortable with every cut I make. I would feel unsafe performing cuts the way some others make them and I am sure others would feel unsafe using my methods.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to my attention. Never hurts to have a reminder every now and then.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.