Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I think a lot of beginning woodworkers get the impression that you need high quality wood to make beautiful furniture. It doesn't help that most people will tell you that pine 2x4s are junk and don't work with them. I disagree. I decide to make this cabinet out of nothing but 2x4s for the solid panels and frame and some scrap 1/4" luan for the door and side panels. I ditched the stand as I am crammed for space, ditched the back and bottom door, and added a solid shadow line panel to both sides as well as a french cleat to hang it. Here is a video covering the build. Have a great weekend folks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chataigner said:
Neat video, thanks for posting.

I agree the cabinet looks really nice, but with all that fine work would it not have been better to use a hardwood ? It would look even nicer in cherry for example.
The main purpose of this project was to prove a point. That you CAN achieve great results with pine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to thank you for the video. I love seeing how the projects are made and I hope to someday video my work. That is a nice cabinet. How did you learn your woodworking? Me, I learned some from my dad and on my own, it has been trial and error. I am still learning new tricks and everytime someone show a video or picture, I learn something more.
I taught myself from research, YouTube videos, and trial and error. I have no woodworkers in my family.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nice job on the cabinet. I like your 45 degree sled--I may need to make one of those. I was a little scared of your crosscutting against the fence maneuver at about 3min in on the video, though :eek:.
Why? With a sled and a non through cut I don't see any problems. When the wood makes contact with the fence there is nothing in between the fence and the blade. :smile:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Good conversation without anyone getting grumpy :)

At 3:08 I don't see a problem with cutting the panel as I am putting pressure against the fence the whole time. Given the size of the panel I still believe I would get more binding than kickback if I happened to get it out of line. Also, having used this saw with a riving knife I will never use it without.

At 3:15 through the rest of the scene I don't think my hands were too close.

At 3:19 I will say that my hand should have never gotten in the line of the blade

Other than that I don't see any other problems. Bottom line, if you don't feel comfortable doing something a certain way, don't do it. I felt safe and comfortable with every cut I make. I would feel unsafe performing cuts the way some others make them and I am sure others would feel unsafe using my methods.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to my attention. Never hurts to have a reminder every now and then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.