Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I think a lot of beginning woodworkers get the impression that you need high quality wood to make beautiful furniture. It doesn't help that most people will tell you that pine 2x4s are junk and don't work with them. I disagree. I decide to make this cabinet out of nothing but 2x4s for the solid panels and frame and some scrap 1/4" luan for the door and side panels. I ditched the stand as I am crammed for space, ditched the back and bottom door, and added a solid shadow line panel to both sides as well as a french cleat to hang it. Here is a video covering the build. Have a great weekend folks!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You do a very nice job with your video. Too many others that I have seen are just to slow in moving on to the next step, we don't need to see ALL the duplicate pieces cut on the table saw.

Good job,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
205 Posts
Neat video, thanks for posting.

I agree the cabinet looks really nice, but with all that fine work would it not have been better to use a hardwood ? It would look even nicer in cherry for example.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chataigner said:
Neat video, thanks for posting.

I agree the cabinet looks really nice, but with all that fine work would it not have been better to use a hardwood ? It would look even nicer in cherry for example.
The main purpose of this project was to prove a point. That you CAN achieve great results with pine.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Very nice. In college we made most of our dorm room furniture from old 2X4's that we found at construction sites. You cabinet turned out much better than anything we made. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
JaysCustomCreations said:
The main purpose of this project was to prove a point. That you CAN achieve great results with pine.
You are right Jay you can make nice furniture from 2X's. These are a set of end tables I made from good old framing lumber. Nice job on the cabinet.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice work Jay! I too have crafted things out of pine and if you take your time with the finish, you can create some really nice items. I really enjoyed watching your assembly and layout. Solid performance and nice fix on that mistake. :thumbsup::smile:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I want to thank you for the video. I love seeing how the projects are made and I hope to someday video my work. That is a nice cabinet. How did you learn your woodworking? Me, I learned some from my dad and on my own, it has been trial and error. I am still learning new tricks and everytime someone show a video or picture, I learn something more.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to thank you for the video. I love seeing how the projects are made and I hope to someday video my work. That is a nice cabinet. How did you learn your woodworking? Me, I learned some from my dad and on my own, it has been trial and error. I am still learning new tricks and everytime someone show a video or picture, I learn something more.
I taught myself from research, YouTube videos, and trial and error. I have no woodworkers in my family.

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
Very well done. Thanks for the video, the ideas and piece just looks awesome. I can see doing that with some underwater scenes for my Key Largo home.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts